Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Landlord references required"

Options
  • 23-12-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

How do I get around this for my first let? I have a full time job, the contract to prove it and enough money to cover several months rent + the deposit. But the estate agent seemed very dismissive that I didn't have any previous landlord references. I would be moving from home. I rented with some friends 4 years ago as a student(moved back home after graduating), but obviously don't have any reference from that. How do I get around this requirement?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you know anyone that rents out property and can vouch for your character, get them to write you a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I don't know anyone like that, but thanks, that is a good suggestion.

On a related note, is it even worth my time going to a viewing without such references? It's later today. All it would take is for someone else to be there with a reference and I am immediately out of the running- seems like a waste of time going with no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Get a reference from your employer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Offer to pay deposit + 2 (or even 3) month's rent upfront.
    Most landlords will bite your hand off at this suggestion.
    Seeing as its rent too- and not deposit- you have nothing to loose.

Thanks, I might just do that- I can certainly afford to do so.

But unfortunately not today- the place I was looking at just raised the asking price by €150(probably in response to the demand they were getting for viewings) so now it is out of my range(after the jump it is 47% of my net income).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Because of the demand many agents will just dismiss it out of hand because it's hassle for them. Look at adverts where you're dealing with the LL directly - email them the full story and see what they say.

As for this being your first-time let that would actually be an issue for me I have to admit. Others may disagree and that's their right but I'd have the following concerns:

-Getting home sick and breaking the lease
    -Mad parties as it's the first place of your own
    -Lack of knowledge on things like bleeding rads, oiling a door etc.
    -Potential Mammy and Daddy involvement.

I know that's a bit out there but I'm just trying to illustrate what you might be up against when you're 'selling' yourself to a potential LL. Madness really you're the one buying the service but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

I'd offer to pay double the deposit but agree that after an inspection in 3 months if the property is kept in good order the extra deposit is return then.

In relation to the above, I'd offer an advanced payment and final months rent. That way if you do a bunk I've a months rent banked to find another tenant. Probably what I'll be requesting anyway. Looking for anything back after 3 months would set off alarm bells/add inconvenience.

The very best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Because of the demand many agents will just dismiss it out of hand because it's hassle for them. Look at adverts where you're dealing with the LL directly - email them the full story and see what they say.

As for this being your first-time let that would actually be an issue for me I have to admit. Others may disagree and that's their right but I'd have the following concerns:

-Getting home sick and breaking the lease
    -Mad parties as it's the first place of your own
    -Lack of knowledge on things like bleeding rads, oiling a door etc.
    -Potential Mammy and Daddy involvement.

I know that's a bit out there but I'm just trying to illustrate what you might be up against when you're 'selling' yourself to a potential LL. Madness really you're the one buying the service but it is what it is.

****!

S.R. wrote: »
    ****!

You say ****, they say sellers (Landlord's) market, but point well made :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a shame. I haven't been to a party in years(doesn't interest me, and I don't drink..), and the thing is, I did spend 2 years away from home while renting on college, where I bled multiple rads, replaced a shower hose, fixed an interior door lock, parents were never involved.. but I don't have a reference for that and it was years ago so I don't have the old LL's contact info, so oh well.

Thanks for the advice all- it looks like I will have to leverage my savings to secure somewhere, but to be honest it's unlikely to be anytime in the next 6 months(until I make more money or rent comes down in Dublin). I just noticed something too good to miss today, but the asking price has gone up so that's down the tubes for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Thanks, I might just do that- I can certainly afford to do so.

But unfortunately not today- the place I was looking at just raised the asking price by €150(probably in response to the demand they were getting for viewings) so now it is out of my range(after the jump it is 47% of my net income).

I'd offer say- 3 months- at the lower rent- most landlords will take the lower rent, in lieu of a large lumpsum up front- especially at this time of the year. Its worth a try anyway.

47% of your net income- is too high- its not too unusual for people to spend this much- but it would seriously crimp your lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fairly sure I got around this when I started renting by just making a reference up.

Not saying to go out of your way to deceive people or anything, but if you're really that stuck, it's not that hard to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had this problem too when I moved over. No LL refs for either of us as I was a homeowner in the UK and my now husband lived at home. LL took a work ref for me, and a letter from the in-laws confirming my husband paid rent.

Can you try something like that?

Yes, I pay my parents rent, maybe it is worth getting something from them confirming that- and/or I can produce a redacted bank statement with the transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Landlords dont need the hassle. Offer two / three months up front. And say you are doing because references are not to be had first let. Or legally binding guarantee from parents etc. Landlord really wants to Know they will be paid its up to you to allieviate that fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Yes, I pay my parents rent, maybe it is worth getting something from them confirming that- and/or I can produce a redacted bank statement with the transfers.

Definitely do not provide a reference from parents! Sure way not to be taken seriously by LLs. Have you no way of locating the contact details of your old LL?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

S.R. wrote: »
    ****!

Well there are a lot of **** out there which is why landlords have to be so choosy

MouseTail wrote: »
    Definitely do not provide a reference from parents! Sure way not to be taken seriously by LLs. Have you no way of locating the contact details of your old LL?

I had this problem too when I moved over. No LL refs for either of us as I was a homeowner in the UK and my now husband lived at home. LL took a work ref for me, and a letter from the in-laws confirming my husband paid rent.

Worked for me. Six years later, we're still here....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, surely you have someone who can give you a character reference?

Don't ask them to lie, as such - that would be asking them to commit fraud, perhaps. But do let them know why you need the reference, and let them be as, ahh, diplomatic as possible about how they phrase things.

• Advertisement

Can you not just make one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Would you like someone to do that to y ou ?

NOT a great idea...

NOT a great idea...

If you make up a reference for a job and get caught then employment law has provision to fire you.

But I'm not sure if tenancy law has similar provisions, I've never heard of anyone being evicted due to a breakdown of trust in the relationship.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If you make up a reference for a job and get caught then employment law has provision to fire you.

But I'm not sure if tenancy law has similar provisions, I've never heard of anyone being evicted due to a breakdown of trust in the relationship.

Contract law could apply. If the provision of a lease is based on certain conditions being met and documents being provided and those are not valid then the lease could be voidable.
    False documents would be a reason to terminate a contract.

Would you like someone to do that to you ?

I don't think it's a great idea. As Handlemaster says, I wouldn't like it done to me. If you give hooky references, what else are you going to lie about? It's all about trust. As a LL, how can I trust a potential tenant who lied to:
    1. Pay the rent in full and on time
    2. Treat the property with respect?

THAT'S why I say:
    NOT a great idea...

No. But if I found a tenant had told porkies, I'd be looking for the first (legal) opportunity to get them out; i.e not renewing the lease. You yourself have suggested the OP gets a character reference. Why can't they do that?

You yourself have suggested the OP gets a character reference. Why can't they do that?

No reason at all.

And in fact, I think that it should be possible for a former housemate to write a very carefully phrased "character" reference which could be read as a LL reference without actually being one.

Don't lie. Just put the truth in the way that it is exepcted.

Advertisement