Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judging people based on their handshake

Options
  • 22-12-2014 11:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭

Its hard to believe this still goes on but I was talking to a colleague earlier who says if a person has a weak one then he doesnt trust them. So do you do judge?

Personally Id be more weary of someone with a bone crushing handshake than a weak one.

Do you judge people based on their handshake? 40 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 40 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

To those who have voted "yes" so far, why do you judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

wel i wouldnt judge them but theres notin worse than a weak1 or someone that just gives u their limp fingers nd let u do the shakn!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Dep! wrote: »
    To those who have voted "yes" so far, why do you judge?

I voted yes - imo a strong shake hand shows some confidence. I wouldn't judge as in trust or not to trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

More so on a lack of eye contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

It's 2015 and people still shake hands? Lol.

Kiss on the forehead is where it's at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I wouldn't judge a person by their handshake.

I will however judge the handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Anyone ever play the ole 'Shake the hand that shook Muhammad.... meet Muhammad' joke. I definitely judge people by that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Absolutely.

Nothing worse than a wet lettuce handshake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

The bone crushing handshake is the bully and the bluffer. The fingers only is the insincere liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

My Granny shook hands with Charlie Haughey once when he was on the campaign trail and she said he had a very weak a slimy handshake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Nothing worse then getting a slippery fish. Doesn't show very strong character. Same as someone giving you a bone crush, they are just trying to over power you. Somewhere in between is where it is at!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

A weak handshake and poor eye contact is part of body language and can signal a lack of confidence in my opinion. Nobody's saying to try to crush someone's hand, but just have a firm grip, smile and make eye contact. It's really not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hate anyone squeezing all the little chicken bones in my girlie hands. It hurts!!! D&mn you and your d*ckhead handshake!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭costadeldole

If they press my middle knuckle with their thumb, then I know they are a Freemason; so yes.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It's not the single decisive factor, but yes I do. In my experience, strong handshake = strong willed person and someone who knows what they want. Weak handshake = a follower not a leader, and easily steered in the direction of your choosing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This is the handshake I tend to use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEgNO0Ayz3E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

That's one thing I really dislike - a weak handshake. A good firm grip and strong eye contact is often the first impression you'll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I like to recieve a limp handshake from time to time , nice for that person to let me know I can't trust them , suckers .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

As said already, gimme a weak handshake over twats that go out of their way to try and crush your hand to show how manly they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nothing better than a stiff, firm, confident one.

Oh wait, wrong thread. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

They not shakin hands in west Africa at the minute. Maybe they have the right idea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Sugar Thief

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

You might want to check the calender.

I worked with a man once who spent 20 years of his life bending stainless steel fuel pipes for aircraft. He had the strongest handshake I have ever experienced. The muscles he had built up in his hands were extraordinary. It was a vice like grip. He could easily have broken the bones in my hand. I always associate a firm handshake with confidence.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

F.uck me! I missed Christmas and New Years eve this year then..
    Good news for you though, calenders will be on sale now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The bonecrusher handshake is to be used by an old fart. It is meant to say "I still have enough power to surprise you".
    Stamping on their foot says "I can surprise you too" and it ensures a quick release of the grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I judge people who cannot correctly execute the secret Boards handshake.

How many times does mike.ie have to keep showing you?! Come on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

mike_ie wrote: »
    It's not the single decisive factor, but yes I do. In my experience, strong handshake = strong willed person and someone who knows what they want. Weak handshake = a follower not a leader, and easily steered in the direction of your choosing.

Based on the above I think its yourself that shouldnt be trusted tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement