Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrooges in 21 Century

Options
  • 22-12-2014 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

I remember 11 years ago working in an office on Christmas Eve expecting as traditional to be let go at 11 o'clock or so. He told us to stay until he said otherwise. Every section we gone by 11 (all the lights were out on every floor bar us) but our dept head had to wait for somebody, 12 came, then lunchtime then 2, 3 5:30 we got out, he was Scrooge in the 21 century I thought.... ah Christmas memories, anyone else meet Scrooge on their travels ......?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

I'm working 24, 25 and 26 of December this year so Scrooge is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Spare a thought for those of us that have roles that require Christmas working.

Still, at least I'm not told when I have to take my annual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Sorry that you are working those days, my little moan seems so trivial now....
    bop1977 wrote: »
    I'm working 24, 25 and 26 of December this year so Scrooge is alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think if I worked in an office that made us work on 24-26th,

Id probably burn the place down, and the bosses house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Globally poverty causes more deaths than cancer. (18m vs. 8m)

Extreme poverty could be ended if for just one year a quarter of the income of the richest 100 people was redistributed to the poorest. We're not event talking asset transfer just a temporary reduction in disposable income.

That works out at about one preventable death every three minutes per multi-billionare.

http://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressreleases/2013-01-19/annual-income-richest-100-people-enough-end-global-poverty-four

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/may/15/uk.g81

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30416844

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd gladly work on Christmas day in exchange for an extra day's annual leave. Never really enjoyed Christmas Day (though the evenings are often okay).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Worked from 4pm til 8pm on stephens day in an off license. It was the most pointless thing ever. All I thought about was the bosses and what the stupid reasoning was behind it. Most if not everyone has drink in their houses already. I sat there and served 10 customers in 4 hours. Not exactly a scrooge. Hours like that ruin the day though. I mean if they were going to ruin my stephens day they could have just given me more hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I know a woman who volunteered herself to work all over Christmas, even though its her turn to have it off this year. Also she told me Santa will not be visiting her house as the children get enough throughout the year and she doesn't want to spoil them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

petrolcan wrote: »
    Spare a thought for those of us that have roles that require Christmas working.

Still, at least I'm not told when I have to take my annual leave.

are you an actor m8

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

are you an actor m8

Oh no I'm not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

My job a few years ago was shift work with a really sh*tty contract. No shift pay, overtime or anything like that for xmas. You would get your statutory day off but it was worked into the roster - which was a net hours roster. Effectively meant even your days off were rostered.

I remember the feeling of having to come into work for 4am stephens morning for a 10 hour shift, while all my family and friends were off. I will never, ever do that to myself again.

Advertisement