Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The year 2_14 2_15 etc

Options
  • 22-12-2014 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that more and more people are copying Michael Noonan by say the year as 2 14, 2 15 etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yep - very irritating

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Every time some one says it like that, I slap a babies arse… very hard. :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No, I seem to know more normal people who call it 2014, 2015, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

Has anyone else noticed that more and more people are copying Michael Noonan by say the year as 2 14, 2 15 etc ?

It is very irritating. 1800 years behind time! It should be pronounced twenty fourteen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

cnoc wrote: »
    It is very irritating. 1800 years behind time! It should be pronounced twenty fourteen.

But it's not "twenty fourteen" either. It's two thousand and fourteen. As in two thousand and fourteen years after the death of Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You mean the birth of Christ, heathen!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

Wilberto wrote: »
    But it's not "twenty fourteen" either. It's two thousand and fourteen. As in two thousand and fourteen years after the death of Christ.

There is a difference between expressing a year date and stating the time elapsed since an event.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Fecking splitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's twenty fourteen the same way it was nineteen ninety four. It wasn't one thousand nine hundred and ninety four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Well, did we not say "nineteen ninety nine" when referring to the year 1999? or "nineteen eighty seven" for 1987?

I will admit, "twenty oh four"/"twenty nought four" would have sounded weird for 2004.

But to my ear, "twenty fourteen" sounds fine. As does "two thousand and fourteen", for 2014.

2-14/"two fourteen" sounds sh*t, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

cnoc wrote: »
    There is a difference between expressing a year date and stating the time elapsed since an event.

Says who?

Besides, every time you say "2014", the A.D. is implied, which means that you are "stating the time elapsed since an event", and hence it should be pronounced as "two thousand and fourteen."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

has 2k14 anything to do with it?

like people who would say two kay fourteen. and they never said twenty or two thousand.
    dropping the k?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Says who?

Besides, every time you say "2014", the A.D. is implied, which means that you are "stating the time elapsed since an event", and hence it should be pronounced as "two thousand and fourteen."

The other precedent was set a thousand years ago in 1066. Which is universally spoken as Ten sixtysix. I never heard anyone saying One thousand and sixtysix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What about the year of our Lord 666 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

Not as bad as the American two thousand fourteen, instead of two thousand AND fourteen. That Yankee crap does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It's twenty fourteen. I doubt in nineteen ninety nine you were calling it one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine.

The tradition of calling it "two thousand and..." only started after the year 2000 when the other system didn't make sense any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

JaseHeath wrote: »
    2-14/"two fourteen" sounds sh*t, to be honest.

2-14 sounds like quarter past two.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2-14 sounds like quarter past two.

*2-15*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

I can (just about) accept the "two thousand and fourteen" gang - but hearing Michael Noonan saying "two fourteen" makes me grind my teeth and scream loudly.

It's twenty fourteen - just like 1914 or 1814..

Advertisement