Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The institute of education- is it worth the money?

• 22-12-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hey guys

im curently in 5th year in a south dublin school, i feel moving to the institute would be a good idea. i am currently doing English Irish Maths German Geography Chemistry and Biology with both ordinary level maths and Irish and the rest higher level. If i went to the institute would my grades be signifigantly higher in the leaving even though im doing two ordinary subjects. dont get me wrong i know i still need to work my ass off. But will the ordinary subjects keep my points down? i also have some questions and it would be great if
    any past students could tell me theyre experiences of the place.

- what are the teachers like?
    - is everyone snobby there?
    - is it worth 7,000 euros ?
    - how are classes run eg timetables
    - do i need to be in at 830 every day if a class doesnt start untill later?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Just my input I dont go there, 7000 euros is a LOT of money just for an education. Remember you are not guaranteed better grades because you pay so much money. Work hard in the school you're in and if push comes to shove grinds are always available. The ordinary level subjects will always be 60 points maximum no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

No

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

keegan.98 wrote: »
    hey guys

im curently in 5th year in a south dublin school, i feel moving to the institute would be a good idea. i am currently doing English Irish Maths German Geography Chemistry and Biology with both ordinary level maths and Irish and the rest higher level. If i went to the institute would my grades be signifigantly higher in the leaving even though im doing two ordinary subjects. dont get me wrong i know i still need to work my ass off. But will the ordinary subjects keep my points down? i also have some questions and it would be great if
    any past students could tell me theyre experiences of the place.

- what are the teachers like?
    - is everyone snobby there?
    - is it worth 7,000 euros ?
    - how are classes run eg timetables
    - do i need to be in at 830 every day if a class doesnt start untill later?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Do you need to pay 7,000 to get the kick up the arse to start working? The institute or other similar grind schools is not a magic solution. People who go there choose to go there, and presumably by and large choose to work. Many are putting in a 12 hour day at the books. You could choose to do the exact same thing right where you are at the moment without paying 7000.

Your grades won't improve just because you go to the institute. Your grades will improve if you put more effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Worth 7000 euro? No

Your doing 5HL so yes ofcourse the OL will effect the maximum points you can achieve.

At end of day you've got to motivate yourself. You are only in 5th year so I would probably just stay where u are and reevaluate at summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

My answer to this question is always the same .
    If you aren't willing to put the work in in your current school then what makes you think you will put in the work in a different school .
    Save your parents some money , pull up your socks and just do the work .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 keegan.98

Do you need to pay 7,000 to get the kick up the arse to start working? The institute or other similar grind schools is not a magic solution. People who go there choose to go there, and presumably by and large choose to work. Many are putting in a 12 hour day at the books. You could choose to do the exact same thing right where you are at the moment without paying 7000.

Your grades won't improve just because you go to the institute. Your grades will improve if you put more effort in.

Thanks for your reply :)
    And I know it's not going to be a walk in the park, many of my friends have went there and told me how horrible the work is but they all got 500 points And above .I just want to achieve the best points possible. And I don't really feel I could achieve the same in my current school as some of the teachers are useless and there's so many little scumbags in the school that constantly interupt class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

keegan.98 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply :)
    And I know it's not going to be a walk in the park, many of my friends have went there and told me how horrible the work is but they all got 500 points And above .I just want to achieve the best points possible. And I don't really feel I could achieve the same in my current school as some of the teachers are useless and there's so many little scumbags in the school that constantly interupt class.

I know how you feel . Last year when I did my leaving cert , there was plenty of wasters in nearly all my classes . They would constantly interrupt the class and make other people suffer . In my opinion these are the worst kind of people . It isn't enough to waste their own education but they have to impinge upon others too. However I didn't let them stop me . Don't let others get in your way. Do the work at home if you can't get it done in class. Don't let anything stand in the way of getting the results you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

My experience is similar to EoghanIRL's and yours too. Wasters are the worst type of students, fortunately for me, a majority of the wasters don't even bother coming to school anymore.

There was a time when I did consider going to IOE but then I remembered 10 students who attended my school and achieved 500+, 4 outside of my school (who probably had a worse school than mine) who too received remarkably high points. I then remembered how stupid I felt when I paid for JC grinds after I came to 5th year and I realized that when I go to college, I'll probably have the same emotions as I did in 5th year. If people can get high points without going to IOE then surely you can as well. You just need to be more determined and focused. In the long run, you'll gain habits & qualities which will allow for the development of your personal success in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

It's worth the money - in that it'll get you 600 points if you follow it to the button - but all it does is churn out rote learners who are incapable of thinking for themselves and hence most likely to meet with failure when they leave school and realise that rote learning tactics are of little use if you want success in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ewinslet wrote: »
    It's worth the money - in that it'll get you 600 points if you follow it to the button - but all it does is churn out rote learners who are incapable of thinking for themselves and hence most likely to meet with failure when they leave school and realise that rote learning tactics are of little use if you want success in the real world.

Actually it won't. Sure, they have plenty of 600 students, but they also have plenty of students who get average results. They also have plenty of students who do follow it to the button and get good results but not 600. If the Leaving Cert was that easy everyone following the institute formula would get 600 and we would be able to teach third level material at second level.

Hard work is needed to get those points but ability comes into play too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

Actually it won't. Sure, they have plenty of 600 students, but they also have plenty of students who get average results. They also have plenty of students who do follow it to the button and get good results but not 600. If the Leaving Cert was that easy everyone following the institute formula would get 600 and we would be able to teach third level material at second level.

Hard work is needed to get those points but ability comes into play too.

Determination and discipline to study the material very well are required. Obviously, not being a total idiot is another requirement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hard work alone is not enough for success in most areas of life.
    It's a strange idea I have seen creep into students' attitudes over the last 15 years or so. If I want something enough or work hard enough, it will happen. That's not true for most things in life and to keep believing it can only end in disappointment or frustration.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That said, hard work does make lots of things more attainable (and yes, I know Spurious wasn't suggesting otherwise, and I understand and agree with her point.)

Now ... why don't we all give ourselves a treat for the New Year and suspend the interminable IoE debate?

If the previous gazillion threads haven't resulted in an earth-shattering epiphany ... or indeed in anybody ever changing their minds on the issue ... I doubt this one has the potential to change the trend. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement