Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titan (Screwfix.ie's own brand) Li-Ion drill €51.99

Options
  • 22-12-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

I am not exactly a DIY expert, but from trawling thru various posts on boards I gathered Li-Ion drills are superior than old style Ni-Cad battery drills, and that most cheaper drills comes with Ni-Cad batteries.

Screwfix.ie has an email out saying their sale starts today. And I had a look and found this drill:

TITAN CDI218GL 18V 1.3AH LI-ION CORDLESS COMBI DRILL for €51.99, down from €112.99.

FEATURES

2 x 1.3Ah Li-Ion Batteries
    2-Speed Variable & Reverse
    1hr Charger
    13mm Keyless Chuck
    20 Torque Settings + Hammer
    Fan-Cooled Motor
    Soft-Grip Handle

SPECIFICATIONS

Max. drilling capacity in masonry 13mm, wood 22mm, steel 10mm. Max. torque 36Nm hard. Weight 2.1kg.

I don't know if this is a brilliant deal, may be someone who knows about this sort of stuff can comment?

Shipping is around €9 but free if the total order is over €75. So I also picked up these two:

Erbauer Drill Set - 43 pc €8.99
    Stanley 19" Line toolbox €14.99 down from €30.99.

Like I said I don't even know if this drill bit set would work with that drill, or if it all would fit neatly in the box... Thought I would share just in case there's a good deal there somewhere!

HTH!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Li-ion tech aside, it looks like a kid's toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Couldn't imagine it's a great bit set for €8 but the drill itself seems like pretty good value, even for a budget brand, €50 for a hammer drill with 2 li-ion batteries is a very good price. Normally you'd pay at least €50 for an own brand budget brand ni-cad hammer drill with one battery in B&Q or Woodies, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks TerrorFirmer, can you recommend a decent drill bit set for occasional DIY use? Mainly to hang mirrors and TV etc I suppose (drill into tiled wall, plaster board, stud etc)?

And to satisfy my inner MacGyver, I wonder if it would be possible to fit some sort of grinding / cutting wheel and turn these into a dremmel like tool?

And Screwfix has another Titan 18v 1.3Ah drill for €87 that looks more like the popular DeWalt li-ion drills.

However comparing specs, I really can't see any difference between the €87 euro better looking drill vs the €52 drill that I posted above. If anything the cheaper model has higher max torque (36nm compared to 30nm).

positron wrote: »
    And Screwfix has another Titan 18v 1.3Ah drill for €87 that looks more like the popular DeWalt li-ion drills.

However comparing specs, I really can't see any difference between the €87 euro better looking drill vs the €52 drill that I posted above. If anything the cheaper model has higher max torque (36nm compared to 30nm).

A little outside your initial price guides, but a much better purchase IMO, for not a huge outlay.

drill:

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dc100ka-gb-18v-1-3ah-ni-cd-cordless-combi-drill-4ed2e7.html

Bit set:

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/makita-p-67832-101-piece-accessory-set.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

dewalt does not last

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Youd be as well flushing your money down the toilet, these cheap drills are cat

braddun wrote: »
    dewalt does not last
    you speaking from experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Most of these manufacturers market two ranges of tools, one for the DIY market and one for the professional market. The difference in quality is huge and the likes of De Walt, Makita and Bosch for the DIY market are much the same quality but in the professional line, they are streets ahead of other common brands.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Youd be as well flushing your money down the toilet, these cheap drills are cat

You would be wrong there,I bought some Parkside powertools in the form of an 18v screwgun and a mains sds drill a few years back after my van was robbed by a junkie scumbag.They have stood up very well to what building sites could throw at them.I also have a large Titan concrete breaker machine and it puts alot of big brand concrete breakers to shame with its power and its joules impact.So I can vouch for the Lidl Parkside brand and also the Titan brand.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »

That DeWalt is a ni-cad, don't they die within a year or two if left unused for months at a time? I think there's a li-ion DeWalt in there somewhere not much more than this ni-cal one.

The bit set looks really good, should have bought that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Couldn't imagine it's a great bit set for €8 but the drill itself seems like pretty good value, even for a budget brand, €50 for a hammer drill with 2 li-ion batteries is a very good price. Normally you'd pay at least €50 for an own brand budget brand ni-cad hammer drill with one battery in B&Q or Woodies, etc.

B&Q and screwfix are both owned by kingfisher, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just label a single unit two different brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's a great drill in Argos, €109 with 2 LIon batteries. I use one myself and have no complaints.
    The chuck is metal compared to the usual plastics and better imo.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7114360/Trail/searchtext%3ESTANLEY.htm

97-7114360SPA78UC1184981M.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

qt3.14 wrote: »
    B&Q and screwfix are both owned by kingfisher, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just label a single unit two different brands.

AFAIK BnQ stock the brand name MacAllister for their powertools,garden power tools and the likes of electric cement mixers and petrol pressure washers.Their 140 litre electric cement mixer is good value,especially when they have 20% off the price.The Titan brand is good as I have 2 of their power tools in the form of a concrete breaker and a spare sds drill,cant go wrong for the money and theres also a code for another 10% off when buying off the screwfix website.

positron wrote: »
    That DeWalt is a ni-cad, don't they die within a year or two if left unused for months at a time? I think there's a li-ion DeWalt in there somewhere not much more than this ni-cal one.

The bit set looks really good, should have bought that instead.

Nah, you wont get a li-ion dewalt for anything near that. As usual, it really all depends on your projected usage / workrate. If its general DIY, your initial choice would most likely be fine. Bit quality will not really come into play if you are just doing internal (plasterboard / joist) drilling as the cheapest bits could easily deal with the internals of any house. Decent masonry bits though, are a must.

A previous post hinted at parkside, LIDL. Decent enough 18V with 2 batteries & case does the rounds quite a bit for circa €69.

At the end of the day, with power-tools, you really do get what you pay for in terms of quality & reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cloonymee

I recently bought a Draper Expert 03287 18-Volt Cordless Combination Hammer Drill with 2 NiCD Batteries on amazon off the UKTool Centre. It cost me 85GBP. and has served me well so far, It has managed to drill a few 12mm masonry holes and other general bits and pieces. I'd definitely recommend it as the batteries only take 30mins to charge.

Advertisement