Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity PME (major and minor?)

Options
  • 22-12-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Does anyone know if the Trinity PME qualifies you to teach one subject or two subjects? You take a major and a minor. Obviously your qualified to teach your major but what about the minor? Does it only qualify you to teach that particular subject up to Junior Cert level or something? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

You have to have sufficient credits in your degree to teach the second subject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No such thing as being qualified to teach only up to JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoversRudie

You have to have sufficient credits in your degree to teach the second subject.

As in your undergraduate degree? I was thinking of taking History as a major and English as the minor. I have 70 History credits and 60 English credits. Would those 60 English credits suffice for me to be able to teach the subject if I took it as my minor? It just seems a bit unusual one subject is a major and the other is a minor considering you take joint majors in the other PMEs (UCD, Galway etc.)

The following is copied from another thread:

if one is already a registered teacher with the Teaching Council, in order to register another subject with the Teaching Council you need to get 30% of a degree (180 ECTS credits), or 54 degree credits, from 2nd and 3rd year of a 3-year degree in that subject. This can be done part-time in the evening over two years for some subjects. It can be done part-time during the day for almost every/every available BA subject. The name of the exit qualification is the Higher Diploma in Arts. It is worth 60 ECTS degree credits.

In addition to the above, the TC requires that a person must have done at least 10 ECTS degree credits in the subject in First Year. These can be secured, again part-time, over a semester.

From the Teaching Council of Ireland: "The Registration Officer briefed the committee with regard to the format and purpose of the Higher Diploma in Arts. The qualification normally covers modules in Arts Subjects at second and third year level to the value of 60 ECTS credits and could be deemed to be equivalent of studying a subject to degree level.

It was agreed by the Registration Committee that where a registered teacher had not studied a subject at first year degree level and is seeking to top up his/her qualifications via a Higher Diploma in Arts Qualification that the applicant is required to complete 10 ECTS in the subject area at first year level in addition to the Higher Diploma in Arts in order to meet the registration criteria."

Also check the teaching council list to see what your degree qualifies you to teach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

As in your undergraduate degree? I was thinking of taking History as a major and English as the minor. I have 70 History credits and 60 English credits. Would those 60 English credits suffice for me to be able to teach the subject if I took it as my minor? It just seems a bit unusual one subject is a major and the other is a minor considering you take joint majors in the other PMEs (UCD, Galway etc.)

The PME qualifies you to teach, the degree determines which subjects you can teach. No such thing as qualified to Junior Cert, you're either qualified to teach a subject or you're not.

The minimum requirement is 60 credits in a subject taken to degree level. There may also be specific requirements in relation to the modules taken. You'll need to check if your degree is on the Teaching Council list of recognised qualifications.

Advertisement