Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Tranfer

Options
  • 22-12-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a friend that has been on a housing transfer list for two and half years. She is living in rural Wexford and seeking a transfer to Wexford town on medical grounds. She is supposed to be on the priority list due to this but after such a long time there doesn't seem to be much of a priority. Has anyone any suggestions how to speed up this process as I know that houses have came available and have been filled by people not on priority list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My experience is with another council but if she's on the priority list, she will be getting priority. The reality is that virtually all of the councils have massive waiting lists and nowhere near enough properties to cover the need for social housing. Has she indicated that a RAS property is acceptable?

Unless you know the intimate details of those who were housed before her, you really have no means of knowing if she should have been prioritised ahead of them, not all medical conditions are visible so they could have simply been higher up the priority list than your friend. Or the properties they were allocated could have been deemed to be unsuitable for her due to her medical condition etc. While people like to imagine it's all back-handers and brown envelopes with the councils it really has never been the case in my experience with housing departments.

That said, has she been contacting the council regularly? Hounding already over-worked staff won't do her any favours but a monthly phone call to see where things are with her application does no harm as they might be able to come up with alternative solutions e.g. a RAS property or Voluntary Housing Bodies places etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

If your friend is on a medical priority perhaps other properties being allocated do not match her medical priority? For example people with mobility problems need level access showers and ground floor / no stairs could this be her issue. Perhaps talk to her local councillor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

She could go the private transfer route if she can find someone willing to swap ,

Advertisement