Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen passat 2002 1.9tdi 130 bhp

Options
  • 22-12-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi just enquiring in relation to my passat.

I bought it a month and a half ago,there was a small whining noise from the engine. The mechanic that was with me said it maybe the pulley that it's not a big issue.

Upon changing the pulley and doing a full service including the timing belt and water pump for peace of mind,the original noise remained the same.

In the recent weeks I've noticed it had increased a small bit.the mechanic told me it maybe the oil in the gearbox.he changed that and the changing in the gears has improved and the noise has remained.it's not a loud noise by all means but just want it running grand.

The mechanic is very much trustworthy and competent but is baffled by this situation,he is going asking others so I said I do the same as I've gotten great advice from others on this site.

Any advice is much appreciated, please note that I am not a mechanic and have very little knowledge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

It appears you have a parts fitter looking at the car who's guessing and replacing bits with the hope it solves the problem.

You really need a mechanic with experience of those engines to do proper diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

VW Advised me that my 'whining' was coming from my alternator pulley, and offered me(well you know)!! anyway took my car away removed alternator and fair enough my alternator clutch was seized(only swinging one way)replaced it with a scrap one, AND NOISE REMAINED.. Replaced tensioner pulley and WALLA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

visual wrote: »
    It appears you have a parts fitter looking at the car who's guessing and replacing bits with the hope it solves the problem.

You really need a mechanic with experience of those engines to do proper diagnosis

Yep, also known as easter egging, randomly replacing parts in the hope that, by pure chance, the right part gets replaced, solving the problem.
    More often than not this doesn't work and usually gets very expensive fast.
    Glad you got it sorted via the alternator pulley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

"and fair enough my alternator clutch was seized(only swinging one way)"

A clutcted alternator pulley is supposed to turn one way only, although a seized one will give similar symptoms to a faulty tensioner, rattle. Easy to check which though.

• Advertisement

ardle1 wrote: »
    VW Advised me that my 'whining' was coming from my alternator pulley, and offered me(well you know)!! anyway took my car away removed alternator and fair enough my alternator clutch was seized(only swinging one way)replaced it with a scrap one, AND NOISE REMAINED.. Replaced tensioner pulley and WALLA.

Must...resist...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

dieselbug wrote: »
    "and fair enough my alternator clutch was seized(only swinging one way)"

A clutcted alternator pulley is supposed to turn one way only, although a seized one will give similar symptoms to a faulty tensioner, rattle. Easy to check which though.

Eh! I restricted the spindle inside the alternator with a screwdriver through the vent,you should then be able to turn the 'clutch' pulley clockwise, but as I said it was seized... Anyway that's how you test a 'clutch' pulley.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Must...resist...

count to ten...deep breaths.....mug of cocoa .....you'll be grand :D

Volvoair wrote: »
    count to ten...deep breaths.....mug of cocoa .....you'll be grand :D

I think I'm over it now, that was a close one.

Advertisement