Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joist sizes for a 3.2m span.

Options
  • 21-12-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Im currently building a shed and am wondering what timber size would be best to use, im trying to keep it as light as possible, generaly i would have used 4x2 but i think it may be a bit heavy. 3x2 would be the next idea but on a span of 3.2m from either wallplate i reckon 3x2 might belly in the middle, so....would 4x1 take more weight over a long span as it is deeper in size then 3x2 while still being in and around the same weight as it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Can you comprehend how silly that post is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dlaf25

Can you comprehend how silly that post is?

Explain why this might be silly? I'm mearly looking for an answer from maybe a structural engineer or someone who may have some information on the stress strenghts of timber sizes, if you have no useful information on this matter I suggest you look for other threads to troll.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not to step on a mods toes here, but we're not allowed give structural advise.

oh and for your sake, PLEASE engage someone to answer this for you.... you definitely need it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

dlaf25 wrote: »
    I'm mearly looking for an answer from maybe a structural engineer or someone who may have some information on the stress strenghts of timber sizes,

Apart from the fact that this...
    1.5 Structural items . Issues relating to the specification of structural components is prohibited. Any queries in this regard need to be dealt with by an architect/engineer privately.
    is taken from the forum charter.

You haven't mentioned:
    1. Whether the joists are floor joists or roof joists.
    2. What finish or use is to be supported above.
    3. If it is a pitched, leanto or flat roof?
    if you have no useful information on this matter I suggest you look for other threads to troll.

Lose the attitude, it isn't possible to offer you any help, even if we were allowed to, given the level of information you have given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dlaf25

I didn't know that people where not allowed to give structural advice on this?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Should have read the charter, shouldn't ya.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

correct, thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement