Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP..Qnap TS 210 Sync has removed photos

Options
  • 21-12-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi All
    I am hoping I can get some help please. It seems that I have lost 2 years of family photos A bit of background...
    Back in the day when I first got my NAS, i set up a backup job that if my external drive was ever connected it would sync the folders. I forgot all about this, used the external drive for other things and only connected it to my NAS for the first time in a couple of years last week. Tonight I went looking for some photos but my "Photos" folder on my NAS doesnt now have any 2014/2013 photos. When I went investigating it I found the sync job, and now both my external drive and my NAS have the same files/folders in the respective "Photos" folder.
    Is there any way of getting back my original photos that were on my NAS ? I have switched it off now in case that the files are deleted and any log may over write them? I know this is a long shot but I could really use some help on this one!

Thanks in advance
    Bellucio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Might be worth checking the recycle bin folders on the qnap, they could still be in there..
    Another option is to take out the drive and use some file recovery software such as recuva from piriform to access if once it has been attached to another laptop etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Take it out of service immediately ..... then clone it ..... then use file recovery tools on the clone ....... testdisk/photorec would be my preferred recovery solution

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the replies. Been looking at this alot over Christmas. I have tried PhotoRec using the instructions from forum.qnap.com/
    viewtopic.php?f=84&t=29038&hilit=undelete (cant post full URL) but ran into a bit of trouble.

Firstly I am trying to recover photos from a Qnap TS210. I downloaded PhotoRec 6.14 for Linux i386 and Linux x86_64. Tried to run the PhotoRec as per the website above, I got the error "cannot execute binary file" for each i386 and x86_64.

From some research I found out this was due to incorrect CPU. So I downloaded the app for Marvell 88F628x Linux 2.6.32. While this worked it did have some issues. Main issue was when I try to narrow down the files to search for it will flash up the screen for a split second and then go back to the menu...Very frustrating as I only need jpg files. I have run the recovery with all files selected. It was going for nearly 20 hours and I ran out of space on my external drive as it was recovering mp3, mpg etc.... So i really need to exclude all of those files type.. Any body ever seen that before ?
    Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Take the drive to another machine (suitable CPU) and run a LiveUSB linux on it if it does not have Linux installed.

There are Rescue CD/USB ISOs available which will have testdisk/photorec included.

Hopefully then you will be able to limit the file types recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all the help. I got a loan of a larger USB drive (2TB) to restore all files to. Thankfully it worked and I got the vast majority of my photos back...Not just to sort through them and get a proper backup in place :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement