Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these good subject choices

Options
  • 21-12-2014 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

So very soon, I will have to choose my Leaving Cert Subjects and this is what I had in mind:

English (HL)
    Maths (HL)
    Irish (OL)
    Biology (HL)
    Chemistry (HL)
    Accounting (HL)
    Spanish (HL) might drop to OL
    and Economics (HL) outside of school.

Is this a good combination. I'm still unsure about what college course/career path I want to take. I'm interested in a lot of different careers at the moment such as Medicine, Science, Computing and Aviation and am hoping by the end of the school year, I will have a fair idea of where I want to go.
    Also I'm considering doing economics outside of school, as I enjoyed it for the JC and i may need it for the points.
    I'm not particularly great at Irish and Spanish, especially when it comes to listening and oral so that's why i'm considering dropping to OL.
    If I want to study say Medicine abroad in Czech, Italy or Hungary is it still essential that I have a third language.
    Sorry for kind of blurting random questions but I just need some answers and don't want to make any mistakes.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When you say you enjoyed 'Economics' for JC, do you mean Business?

As regards career choices, try some of the online aptitude tests to see what area your personality is suited to. Aviation and Medicine are quite some ways apart and require very different skills - what is it about them attracts you to them?

Don't choose a course based on the points (high or low, or whether you will get them or not). Have a passion for whatever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

spurious wrote: »
    When you say you enjoyed 'Economics' for JC, do you mean Business?

As regards career choices, try some of the online aptitude tests to see what area your personality is suited to. Aviation and Medicine are quite some ways apart and require very different skills - what is it about them attracts you to them?

Don't choose a course based on the points (high or low, or whether you will get them or not). Have a passion for whatever you choose.

What I meant was I enjoyed the economic section on JC Business. And yeah I know what you mean about Aviation and Medicine. For one of my TY work experiences, I was in a hospital and I really enjoyed the whole feel of it and the work. With Aviation, there's something about flying and being a commercial pilot that really intrigues me but I'm not too sure about it.

Advertisement