Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting as my 9th subject!

Options
  • 21-12-2014 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Thinking of taking up accounting as my 9th subject,8th HL subject as I do OL maths!

Basically I do
    HL:English
    Gaeilge
    Deutsch
    Business
    Biology
    Geography
    History

And the way I see it,them subjects don't offer what I see as "definite high scores"

Unfortunately I can't afford grinds but would anyone be able to let me know whether doing accounting as well my other subjects would be too much on my plate or is it easy enough to cover?

Edit: I'm in 5th year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Wouldn't it be more productive to:

a) Work on the 7 higher subjects you have

or

b) Go up to Higher Maths

You are going into the exams at a disadvantage without putting pen to paper whether you do 6 or 20 subjects by doing OL Maths. I'd recommend trying to bring up maths rather than taking on accounting or stick with the 7 subjects you have if you can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scallway

Are you saying you want to teach yourself accounting? That's going to be extremely difficult, almost impossible I would say.. I got an A1 in accounting but my great teacher was so much help and steady work is needed for accounting, you would want to be doing a question from the exam papers a few evenings a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DarraghFitz98

Consonata wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be more productive to:

a) Work on the 7 higher subjects you have

or

b) Go up to Higher Maths

You are going into the exams at a disadvantage without putting pen to paper whether you do 6 or 20 subjects by doing OL Maths. I'd recommend trying to bring up maths rather than taking on accounting or stick with the 7 subjects you have if you can't do that.

Thanks for your advice,but my maths is very weak apart from mental arithmetic,I started in HL maths in 5th year but failed test after test.
    scallway wrote: »
    Are you saying you want to teach yourself accounting? That's going to be extremely difficult, almost impossible I would say.. I got an A1 in accounting but my great teacher was so much help and steady work is needed for accounting, you would want to be doing a question from the exam papers a few evenings a week

That's what I am saying,do you think it would be impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scallway

Considering you are in leaving cert already, yes I do think it's too late for you to take up accounting yourself and do well especially without a teacher. It's not the kind of subject you can cram.. If I were you I would work on the subjects you already have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Thanks for your advice,but my maths is very weak apart from mental arithmetic,I started in HL maths in 5th year but failed test after test.

If you can't manage HL Maths, Accounting is going to be more difficult for you, especially as you have no teacher to speak of, especially if you're arithmetically suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If you're trying to maximise your points concentrate on your existing subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

I found accounting easy enough for Leaving Cert but again I had a good teacher.

This was 10 years ago ao the course might have changed.

From what I remember you could probably learn about 60% of the course and do well as you have lots of options with the questions.

No I said mental arithmetic is my strength :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

To be fair 9 higher level subjects is excessive . It would be better to focus on your 7 higher level subjects.

Most people only do 7 subjects anyway so you are at no disadvantage .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Darragh, taking on a ninth subject is spreading yourself too thin imho, especially taking it on at this stage.

You have 7 honours subjects, you can only count 6 subjects.

My advice would be to put the time and work into the ones you are already doing.

• Advertisement

Thanks Randy,it was just a thought but you're probably right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Thanks Randy,it was just a thought but you're probably right :)

If you really wanted an eighth honour how about Economics if you're in anyway business orientated?. The course is fairly short and there aren't too many "mathsy" aspects to it.

If you really wanted an eighth honour how about Economics if you're in anyway business orientated?. The course is fairly short and there aren't too many "mathsy" aspects to it.

I'll have a look at it,thanks :)

Advertisement