Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RimWorld

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I play it from time to time. Not as often as I probably should though. It's pretty good and is constantly being updated. But I'd probably hold off until it's more complete. There's plenty to do at the moment, but not a whole lot of variety (thought, as I said, it's being updated all the time).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is there a steep learning curve?

Kind of. It all makes sense, but there's not much help with some bits. There's a small tutorial, but I ended up sitting down with it for a few hours, starting over and over to get the idea of what I was to do. It's not as unforgiving as the likes of Banished, but it can be harsh at times. For example, if you start a game on one of the harder difficulties, you can find pirates attacking your base shortly after you start, and you won't stand a chance.

It's got a sort of end game at the moment (involving rebuilding a ship to escape), but mostly the game consists of growing your colony, fending off pirate attacks, growing more, fending off larger attacks etc.

Here's a Let's Play a guy put together for the latest alpha, that will give you an idea of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMaP_0G8EY

Although I have to warning you, the guys accent is annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

we cant all have european accents

Listen to the first word he says twice in a row and tell me you don't want to punch him. :D

I think it's a new gripe I have with Youtube videos, with people trying to make some sort of catchphrase for themselves. The Tactical Advance guy also annoys me for unnecessarily long pause after "Ladies and gentlemen...". It get's insanely grating when you watch a lot of their videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2 minutes in he's just a normal person.

Its a growing trend though among these yokels, everyone adds their own 'signature' apparently, to the start of their videos. Like title cards in TV shows, only more 'I still live at home'-like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What's the deal with this looking identical to Prison Architect? Is it a shared engine or something? I've seen another game that also looks very similar in style of interface, tileset and characters and the only explanation I can really think of is that it's based on something they used to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

J_E wrote: »
    What's the deal with this looking identical to Prison Architect? Is it a shared engine or something? I've seen another game that also looks very similar in style of interface, tileset and characters and the only explanation I can really think of is that it's based on something they used to make it.

He said he took "inspiration from prison architect" and that he has the blessing from the PA artist.

I was convinced it was a mod when i seen it first. And apparently all the art in PA are just placeholders for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thought this was Discworld related :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Here is a new Lets Play from one of my more favourite Youtube players : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo7dAUADTv4

Played for 3 hours yesterday. A pirate managed to shoot all 3 of my people and infection soon set in and killed them off. I'm struggling to recruit anyone new to join my original survivors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

You should definitely get it. Is more than worth the 20 euro or whatever it was to get it.
    I've sunk probably a hundred hours into it already.

A while after each update, you'll start using the mods and they breath new life into it while your waiting for the next update, which come around every 6-8 weeks or so.

Also, it can be absolutely brutal at times. All your colonists dying to diseases, no food in the desert/tundra, a single pirate sniper making your life hell. And then all hell breaks loose when you get one of the mechanoid fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Played some of this on the weekend. Looked at the clock, 5 hours later O.o

Made it a good bit in until i got wiped out by an attack of 12 or so pirates.

Was in the process of constructing parts of the ship. Was clueless though on how to piece it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

every time I see this title it keeps reminding me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Been playing the alpha 14 of this game and it's amazing. Seriously. So bloody difficult though. Everyone is so angry in the game...

Favourite occurence so far... a new recruit joined my colony. An uncle of a current member. Great, the more the merrier. Till he started randomly lighting fires. Turns out he was a pyromaniac. So, I thought to myself, what harm if he lights the odd fire. Tis grand. They are easily put out. Until he had a mental break FOR NO REASON and went on a fire starting rampage.
    He lit up my original house, my barracks and tried to burn my crops. Not having this, I said.
    Unfortunately there is no way to kick someone out of your colony yet so I had to lock him in a room till he starved to death. Worked a treat... until the his neice realised what happened and was so upset that she went on a murderous rampage. Fúckin hell... where was that new game button again? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's great fun alright, but as you say - things can go tits up very quickly.

One campaign, I ended up with not enough food and the colonists were forced to butcher and eat their pet labradors to survive one Winter because I only had one grower and no decent animals colonist (died in a raid during the previous Fall). One of the colonists (the grower, of course!) had a bond with one of the dead animals and went into a daze as a result of eating his beloved pet. Wandered around outside with no clothes in Winter. It went about as well as you'd expect it would for him.

The rest didn't survive much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Just wondering if many people are playing this?

I’m on the fence. Can’t decide whether to get it, as it’s still in Alpha. But I’ve been watching Quill18 playing lately and it looks like so much fun!

What are people’s thoughts on it’s current state?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I love this game. it's very rewarding when things go your way but it's super hard - especially if you get the wrong mix of colonists

I’m on the fence. Can’t decide whether to get it, as it’s still in Alpha. But I’ve been watching Quill18 playing lately and it looks like so much fun!

It's well worth it.

Even now, there's a load of mods that the community has created. The base game itself though is great fun though even without mods. I won't describle the gameplay as you've already seen the videos, but suffice to say it's challenging...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks really good, and i'm tempted to pick it up later. Not sure about paying €28 for an early access title though.

It's bound to be on Humble Monthly at some stage or discounted in the upcoming Steam Sale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Hyzepher wrote:
    It's bound to be on Humble Monthly at some stage or discounted in the upcoming Steam Sale

It hasn't been discounted yet according to isthereanydeal. Do games which are still in alpha usually get a discount?

Some do. Rimworld has been notably steadfast on the price but the Humble Monthly - due to the secrecy of the unveiled titles - is a likely candidate if Rimworld wants an injection of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I'd be surprised if this was on Humble Bundle anytime soon seeing as it's not that long on Steam and he waited so long to even release it on there. It's well worth the €20 or €25 price. I've a couple of hundred hours on it at this stage and got my monies worth already, and every update adds quite a lot to bring you back. Then it crushes you... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

I watched a couple of Quill18 play-throughs on this as well and finally actually bought the game 3 days ago. I resisted because I thought it would be extremely addictive, and would take over my life. And I was right. I couldn't recommend it highly enough, and I've still only got 6 colonists in my first colony!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive also watched Quill18`s lets play videos, such a genuine guy unlike most pretentious pricks you find on youtube and twitch.
    Looks like a great game for sure,also tempted but far too many games taking up my time already.

I bought Rimworld after watching Blitzkriegsler on Youtube

He now has a separate 'adventure' channel and uses his 'After Dark' channel just for stuff he likes but doesn't get him a whole lot of views (i.e. Rimworld) but is a solid youtuber who's videos have led me to buy several games from Steam.

Oh wow, 1.6 seems to have been a massive update. Caravans and all sorts of **** now.

Back to Rimworld I go!

Ponster wrote: »
    I bought Rimworld after watching Blitzkriegsler on Youtube

I should also say that his latest series has me as a character! It's very strange watching someone play a game with you as a character. I feel strangely protective when he's looking for someone to go and kill some wolves :)

huzn5CO.png

Advertisement