Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Engagement Ring Repair - Options

Options
  • 20-12-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi Folks I’m just looking for some advice.

I bought an engagement ring in august and proposed on the 15th of august. In November (Two months of the ring being on her finger) while at work the main gem fell out of the ring. Luckily my fiancé managed to find the gem. That weekend we brought the ring in to be fixed and we were told it would take two weeks to repair.

After not hearing anything 3 weeks we rang to see if the ring was ready and was told the customer service lady was gone home and we would be contacted first thing in the morning. Needless to say this did not happen and three days later my OH rang to be told that it will be ready Saturday.

So Today I collected the ring (four weeks later) and brought it home. After closer inspection by my OH we noticed that (1) the claws holding the gem in place are sitting in different positions on the stone (Which covers the stone) which ruins the look of the ring (2) the gem and claws are sitting off centre on the ring (3) with the off centred position there is now a gap between the gem and the rim of the ring (4) the claws are not in even positions around the gem and are uneven and crooked.

Needless to say that we are not happy one bit. The ring has lost a huge amount of aesthetic value, the ring now looks very cheaply made and even cheaper repaired. My OH is very upset and when you look at pictures from before and after the repair there is very noticeable difference in the ring.

We are planning on going in the jewellers on Monday. Surely something like an engagement ring which cost a few 000€ should last longer than 2 months and also surely if it doesn’t the repair should restore it to its previous condition.

Realistically we want the ring replaced but are we entitled to it??
    I would assume we are entitled to Refund, Replacement or Repair …..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kennedy123

what's to say if you get it replaced the new ring wont brake is two months time? maybe the entire batch of the particular ring is faulty. I would be looking for my money back and not a replacement. if you don't get you money back then pick a different ring. if you do get your money back I would shop else where.

hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Yeah that is a huge concern that the whole batch are faulty. I'm more annoyed at the quality of repair as opposed to the initial breakage. here hoping we get sorted if not ill stand outside with a sign :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If you spent thousands on a ring, I'd be very shocked to hear that it was one of a batch.

You are entitled to a ring that does not lose a gemstone in normal use (I'm assuming that "at work" does not refer to her being employed as, for example, a mechanic). It should be counted as good fortune that she found the stone. You are entitled to a proper repair if there is a fault in the setting.

Given your description, one possibility might be that the type of setting was unsuited to the stones used, and in an effort to secure the stone the jeweller made a more secure setting that simply does not suit the ring.

In your position, I would try to engage the jeweller in a constructive discussion about how things might be rectified. I'd even carry in my head the idea that a new ring be made using the stones.

Advertisement