Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO: Koolkid. Alarm panel DSL filter correctly fitted?

Options
  • 20-12-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭

Hi Koolkid,

I'm Just wondering is the alarm panel DSL filter fitted correctly.

It was fitted by yourself a couple of years ago and during the week we had a KN Networks technician out to upgrade us to efibre.

We are max. 400 metres from the fibre cabinets yet the modem is only syncing at 27mb downstream SNR figures are low and there is high capacitance in the house according to Vodafone who ran a line test. I'm Just wondering did the technician possibly disconnect the attached filter and may have incorrectly/mistakenly not re-wired it correctly? I wasnt at home when he was there so couldn't ask him how the upgrade went and he didn't make any comment to my wife.

It doesn't help that the nearest phone socket is in the sitting room and where the cable first comes into the house is in the hall.

There is probably high attenuation on account of this as the line is bridged.

Would a master splitter put on at the point of entry solve this as I should be getting 80 - 100mb given my distance from the cab and if it is internal wiring restricting this I want to get it fixed.

If Vodafone wont fix the wiring can you recommend someone who could and cost involved?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The filter looks right, but with out seeing where each pair is going I can't say 100 %.
    If you connect the modem to the incoming with everything else disconnected what speeds do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

KoolKid wrote: »
    The filter looks right, but with out seeing where each pair is going I can't say 100 %.
    If you connect the modem to the incoming with everything else disconnected what speeds do you get?

Ok, I wasn't sure just in case he disconnected it and it wasn't put back right. Someone is coming out tomorrow to try and fix it.

I did a line test with Vodafone and they got me to disconnect everything in turn - I didn't/wouldn't be comfortable disconnecting the alarm DSL filter - it send a txt message/it's not monitored to a remote station and the stats didn't improve only the modem did slightly.

I think what may be attributing to the high capacitance is that the phone line comes into the hall and appears to be split off in other directions. The modem is in the TV room. There is a phone socket in the kitchen that is in use and 2 other sockets - 1 up stairs and one in the dining room.

Even though there is nothing connected to 2 of the sockets I believe it may be a factor in the high attenuation? Maybe if a master filter was installed in that box in the hall (where the alarm filter is) that gave clear run to where the modem is that may improve the attenuation?

The line stats from my modem are terrible and internal wiring appears to be the factor:

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 25443
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 8191
    Downstream SNR (dB): 6.1
    Upstream SNR (dB): 7.5
    Downstream line attenuation (dB): 19.5
    Upstream line attenuation (dB): 7.2
    Downstream output power (dBmV): 11.8
    Upstream output power (dBmV): 7.8
    Downstream CRC: 358
    Upstream CRC: 5
    Downstream FEC: 464347
    Upstream FEC: 13979

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tiber

Hi. i'm having a problem with my eircom simon xt house alarm. it keeps beeping and when I checked GSM status says System communications failure. Any idea how to fix it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you discontinued /cancelled your monitoring with them?

we have moved into new house were the previous owner used alarm which was connected with garda but they stoped paying for this option and we also don't want to be connected with garda but alarm was originaly set up for this. they said we have to pay €200 to reset alarm if we would like to change option

• Advertisement

Do you have any paperwork or documents relating to the alarm that have an account number/customer number.?

I don't have any account number I can try to get it from previous owner.

If you can.
    I will PM you the manual and information for the engineer code.

Advertisement