Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing early on Christmas eve, am I in the wrong?

Options
  • 20-12-2014 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in an office doing administration and the standard hours at 9 - 5:30pm with an hours lunch. That's pretty standard, nothing strange at all

I work 8 - 4:30pm as they want someone in early to cover client calls and I also do checks and prepare reports. I don't have a different contract to anyone else, they just need someone to do it and so I do

On Christmas eve we were told that everyone can finish up at 3pm so people can catch buses & trains or go shopping, whatever. This is dependant on the daily work getting done and we're confident it will be as it's a quiet time for trading.

I asked my team leader could I finish at 2pm as otherwise I'll be working an extra hour over my peers. I was told that's a cheeky request and management were being obliging at letting us go early. So basically told no chance and I was wrong to even ask.

Maybe I'm entirely in the wrong, do you think I'm a chancer? I thought it was reasonable.

I'm on a salary, I don't get paid by the hour and I appreciate the early finish, I'd just like my early start to be recognized.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't think it's particularly cheeky - but can see how it would ruffle feathers if you put it the wrong way.

Just say that you'll be coming in at 9 that day, and let them negotiate from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

We have a similar situation whereby we are let go on a half day most years but you need to take a full days leave if you want it off. The half day is at the discretion of management and a good will gesture, it also not guaranteed. I have no problem taking the full day off but other people do moan and groan about "fairness".

I would consider it a little cheeky asking but worth a try. It is a goodwill gesture though so make sure to be thankful either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I can see where you are coming from, but you're still getting a benefit from your employer and should take it with good grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Comes across a bit cheeky to be honest. I'm sure, as is the case in almost every office, there are certain people working past 5:30 most days when you're gone home on time and don't get that time back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Yeah, I can see how your employers think it's cheeky. It's not like you're working an hour longer than your contract says.

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat as you OP, and I didn't even realise until I read your post. We all got let out at 1 on Christmas eve, regardless of what time we started, meaning I worked an extra half hour compared to quite a lot of people.

But it's a goodwill gesture. And it's Christmas. And I'd just take a win where you can get it, without looking to each side trying make sure you got as much goodwill, quantified in minutes, as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

As you said it is dependent on where the workload is at 3pm whether pepole will be let leave earlier
    It seems reasonable to me that they make the call when they see fit.

You might feel a little hard done by ,but if the reverse was true and orders kept coming and they needed people to stay late of an evening ,dont you miss out on this having finished an hour later ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They tried to let everyone off a bit earlier on the days over Christmas. Unfortunately I wasn't one, just had to take the hit as it's a perk so pushing it would mean it would be taken from everyone and next time it happens it could be me.

OP you say you are scheduled to work 9 to 5:30 but do 8 to 4:30 as a favour. Do you always leave at 4:30 on the button and do all your peers leave on the button of 5:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

You got off earlier than 4.30 and the time you came in has nothing to do with this. You still benefited so that is the only thing that counts. It was a bit cheeky but not a major faux pas and as it is a discretionary thing you have nothing to complain about.

Advertisement