Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski/Snowboard trip mid - late February.. Help me please

Options
  • 20-12-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,
    I'm looking for your help I'm looking to go skiing/snowboarding for the first time this mid to late February 2015. There are 3-5 of us going. Somewhere with good night life. All girls going so far. Looking for a bit to craic. Ideally somewhere that has everything pretty close by as in lift is not an hour away from where we're staying. Open to different countries. Oh were also On a bit of a budget.
    Any feedback would be kindly appreciated

Thanks a mil,

Kind Regards,
    Aoife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

sanka11 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm looking for your help I'm looking to go skiing/snowboarding for the first time this mid to late February 2015. There are 3-5 of us going. Somewhere with good night life. All girls going so far. Looking for a bit to craic. Ideally somewhere that has everything pretty close by as in lift is not an hour away from where we're staying. Open to different countries. Oh were also On a bit of a budget.

Thanks a mil,

Kind Regards,
    Aoife

Soll or morzine, DIY it unless you can find a good value package. All girls on the trip, can I join yas :p

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

Hello,

Thanks a mil,

Kind Regards,
    Aoife

If you looking for night life I would recommend Ischgl, Austria, its not the cheapest tho. Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Timmaay wrote: »
    Soll or morzine, DIY it unless you can find a good value package. All girls on the trip, can I join yas :p

Morzine doesn't really have a great nightlife, not that I saw anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

soll

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hello,

Thanks a mil,

Kind Regards,
    Aoife

Definetly Austria and top of the list there and value for money is soll,marhofen and sallbach .3 excellent resorts with varied terrain and great night life.very accessible from Munich and Salzburg if going Diy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

If you want to DIY Soll, all the info you need is in the first post here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sanka11

Thanks a mil for the feedback guys :) Sounds like Soll could be the way to go? :D any other tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Go as late in Feb as possible Mid feb is peak school weeks. Which means higher prices & busier slopes With current conditions and poor snow aim high with the majority of skiing above 2,000 meters.Hopefully that will change soon but its an odd year

Tignes in France or Hintertux would be very safe bets right now.good value high alpine resorts with plenty of garunteed skiing. Tignes is a whole lot ugly as a village though

@ Fattes Thanks a million I'll def look into that.. definately don't wanna make it to a place and find no fresh powder.

In fairness though, if it's your first time on the slopes you won't be spending much time in powder, so don't worry too much about that! Just make sure there's coverage on the beginner's slopes. Looking at the current conditions now you should be fine in most resorts at the time you're going- book soon though! It's a busy time you're looking at so it can get difficult to find group accommodation once the season is underway :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks a million we're looking into booking it today or tomorrow :) we're looking into February 27th now running into the first week in March so hopefully that wont be too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Depending where your heading might cost you more, if you are all beginners and the resort has no low level learning slopes you will need a ski pass to get up top.

Austria will normally be the cheapest over all as the ski passes and lessons are cheaper than other countries. Soll and the skiwelt more affordable than other more fashionable resorts. We diy to kitzbuhel and buy the alpen card for more flexibility. As its you first time you won't be looking for a vast area to ski. Have a good look at the area and check for close resorts. You will possibly need over 60 kms of ski area if you are determined to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Mayrhofen in Austria would be the best resort to go.Always good snow coverage as its high altitude and you have the Hintertux glacier a short bus trip away. Can be done very easily on a budget too. Check Crystal and Direct Ski for deals. Generally B&B options are the best and are within walking distance to town. Book your skis separately it's much cheaper than with a tour op.
    Mayrhofen has great terrain for all levels and the nightlife is one of the best in Austria. I've been 5 times and plan to go back again this year.
    Any questions about it feel free to ask.

Soll also has the nightlife you're looking for, and a LARGE ratio of men to women if that's of interest! (And shh don't tell anyone, but the Dublin Fire Brigade usually go to Soll that week too) It's a GOOD week for a group of girls :D

uhhhh nice one haha we may have to set fire to a few things haha (joking of course) :P

uhhhh nice one haha we may have to set fire to a few things haha (joking of course) :P

Hahaha well lets just say- you wouldn't be the first ;);)

haha my Friends are thrilled, they are sold too! :D

haha my Friends are thrilled, they are sold too! :D

Oh Jesus the pressure haha, hope it's all going ahead as planned!! Either way, you will be outnumbered by men.

Just go to the SalvenStadl as soon as you arrive on the Saturday- your destiny awaits!! ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭enricoh

livigno in italy has the best nightlife of the 8 or so places ive been skkiing. handy enough for beginners too

Advertisement