Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best movies of 2014? (contains spoilers)

Options
  • 20-12-2014 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Since theres only a few movies left to come out now, what did you like best of 2014? (try to include a little paragraph as to why, as per the charter please)

(this is only a vague order)

1. Captain America the winter soldier - I love these marvel movies, I really do, mainly cos I find the source material still very difficult to jump into. Cap 2 is a superb film from all angles, serving as both a sequel to not only the avengers, but also captain america 1, thor, iron man, etc, and it proves that Marvels cinematic universe can actually go for something a tad more gritty, even if it never descends to dark knight levels of angst.

2. 71 - This was one of them movies I didn't know what to expect, as I feel the trailers kinda misrepresented it. Its strange to think out of the mediocre actors to come out of skins, that Jack O'conell has turned out so great. The action is sparse, but used well when it comes, its surprisingly apolitical for the time and context the film is set in, and its incredibly tense, I loved it.

3. Nightcrawler - well this was again, another movie I felt the trailer misrepresented, for the good. Jake Gyllenhaal is absolutely incredible, playing as Lou, a man who manages to play an incredibly cold, logical man, who never goes to the staples we expect, a flawed anti hero, moustache twirling villain, he's just a logical, efficient person, who never feels the need to pander. Theres an incredible scene where he explains to a woman he associates with through business, about why they should have sex, and its so superb, its incredible.

4. 22 Jump street - I try to judge comedy by how much it makes me laugh, not any abstract messages it tries to squeeze in. But jump street was just all round great, both a hilarious film, and poking some fun at the very idea of sequels, studio budgets and interference, very good indeed. Changing tatum has really turned into a great actor.

I'll add to my list when I'm not really very tired :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

1. At Berkeley. A 4 hour documentary about education that feels like a film making masterclass in and of itself. As engrossing a film as I've ever seen. An absolute pleasure to watch and one of those rare films that seems like a complete gift to experience on the big screen. I still felt completely invigorated after the long runtime.

2. The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. Another doc that was a privilege to experience, especially as a huge fan of Studio Ghibli. It's beautiful, funny and incredibly poignant. So much more than just a glorified DVD extra, pretty much every moment is a delight.

3. The Raid 2. Had huge expectations for this after the original and Evans just knocked it out of the park. The film making is a noticeable step up, the scope is more expansive and it should be held up as a textbook example of how to do an action sequel.

4. Inside Llewyn Davis. Shot straight into my top 3 Coen films right after seeing it. Maybe the most layered film they've ever made with the usual texture and richness you'd expect of their work. A film I can see myself watching in 5 years and still finding more to pick apart.

5. Boyhood. An amazing achievement that works on so many levels as a very uncanny character study, a poignant coming of age story, a snapshot of American life in the 2000s and an ambitious film experiment. You feel like you knew the characters personally by the end of it, another film I can easily revisit every few years.

Did a top 50 on Letterboxd too. Another excellent year for film tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In alphabetical order, because numerical ranking is difficult:

At Berkeley - How is a four hour documentary set pretty much entirely on a university campus so compelling from first frame to last? Frederick Wiseman allows the camera to soak up the sights, the stories, the people, and offers a masterclass in documentary filmmaking in the process. From what I'm reading, looks like a safe bet to reserve a place on next year's list for National Gallery!

Boyhood / Girlhood - Boyhood really needs no introduction - a sprawling achievement on a truly unprecedented scale (certainly in the realm of fiction film). But Girlhood deserves defending too as something of a counterpoint - another honest, acutely observed tale of adolescence from Celine Sciamma. Frankly, these two films are ultimately very, very different stories in very, very different styles, but they’d make one hell of a double bill.

Goodbye to Language - I go to the cinema to see something new and challenging, and Adieu au Langage sees a veteran director still redefining the potential of the medium. Jean Luc-Godard, cinematic troll extraordinaire, rips apart the rules of 3D and storytelling with equal parts playfulness and complexity. It’s the only 3D film you ever need to see - although you’ll need to see it again. And again. And probably again after that.

The Grand Budapest Hotel
    - Wes Anderson manages to make a film even more drowning in his own eccentricities. And thank god he did, because The Grand Budapest Hotel is delightful cinema from one of the medium’s most singular auteurs. Anderson concludes on the poignant reminder that, for all the energy and vibrancy of the world portrayed here, it is destined to remain an impossibly nostalgic dream. Luckily, we have Wes Anderson to visualise that impossible dream for us.

Her - Where other films treat technology with fear and suspicion, Her is defined by its empathy and humanity. Simply put, it is a truly thoughtful and beautiful, yet probing and bittersweet sci-fi romance. It’s the brilliant film Spike Jonze has always had him.

Ida - the visual presentation most stands out in this minimalist yet powerful drama. Shot in black & white 4:3 (and making tremendous use out of that old-fashioned aspect ratio), the compositions make fascinating use of frame height and geometry. Through the cinematography, Pawlikowski and his DP transmit a sense of unease, place and often a grim sort of beauty. It's a film where every pretty much every cut signals an inventive new shot, while the fascinating dual character study at the film’s centre (dominated by incredibly evocative performances from Agata Trzebuchowska and Agata Kulesza) also allows for insightful exploration of the political and social contexts of mid-century Poland (particularly the aftermath of the Holocaust)

Mr Turner - an exquisite biopic that elegantly bypasses the typical limitations of the form. With its painterly cinematography, admirably episodic structure and towering lead performance from Timothy Spall, Mike Leigh's film feels like a truly rich, engaging and illuminating portrait of a complex and fascinating individual. The painfully mediocre likes of the Imitation Game could take note.

Our Sunhi - As ever with Sang-soo's films, Our Sunhi has a captivating internal pace and rhythm that negotiates the thin line between capturing raw, genuine emotions and reflecting on the artifice of cinematic form. with Sunhi herself he continues to create strongly defined yet endearingly elusive female protagonists. As ever, there's great truth and honesty in Sangsoo's approach, even if the characters themselves aren't always 100% genuine (well, at least until they've emptied a couple of soju bottles). It's as effortlessly witty and funny as In Another Country, making it a real pleasure to watch. Sang-soo mightn't break with form here, but if the form isn't broken...

Snowpiercer - the greatest cinematic travesty of the year was that Bong Joon-ho’s dystopian masterpiece was denied a proper release here (hopefully rectified in 2015). Those who sought it out were granted a genre film of electrifying intelligence, grace, skill and style. Not even the finest Hollywood efforts of the year came anywhere close to the accomplishments of this weird and wonderful train journey, loaded with hugely imaginative setpieces and bold social commentary.

A Touch of Sin
    - a truly magnificent 'state of the Chinese nation' address from the renowned Jia Zhangke. The society portrayed here is at odds to many of the images we see portrayed in most Chinese and Western media, to the point where it seems like a near miracle Zhangke was allowed make such a scathing film in his own country. It's a cynical film, but one that seems genuinely concerned with some of the changes taking place in China.

Two Days, One Night
    - The Dardennes manage a mesmerising feat here as they explore the various ethical and moral dilemmas faced when a woman named Sandra (Marianne Coutillard) is threatened with being let go after her co-workers are put in a near impossible. position. It's sort of an anti-parable, despite its seemingly morally loaded concept - this isn't a story with one outlook, but seventeen of them. All this is done in the typically economical way the Dardennes are experts at. The visuals are unshowy and (deceptively) simple, but the long-takes in medium and close angles capture with devastating clarity the reactions and emotions of these characters

Under the Skin
    - Above all, this is a film about mood, and Glazer is brave enough to supplement a stripped down, ambiguous narrative with evocative and sometimes provocative delivery. The film is overflowing with memorable imagery and fantastic effects sequences - including several that are among the most disturbing yet strangely beautiful I have ever seen in a cinema. Nothing I saw this year, if you’ll excuse the lazy description, quite got under my skin quite like this one.

Whiplash - really, it all boils down to that ending. If you want a perfect example of raw cinematic catharsis, make sure you watch Whiplash through to its impeccable cut to credits. Not that what precedes it is any slouch - it’s an intense, blackly comic and fascinating two-hander, with JK Simmons owning every single scene he appears in.

Why Don’t You Play in Hell’s complex layers and subtexts ultimately elevate it above the more hollow genre thrills Quentin Tarantino is often known to peddle. By the end, the characters have descended into a heady cocktail of euphoria and delirium, living the dream and expiring in a horrible nightmare - an apt description for the film itself. It's a rush to experience, Sono showing a level of creative freedom, punk attitude and sense of devilish fun that we haven't seen in earnest since Love Exposure. Nothing is immune to attack or criticism here, even Sono himself. Embrace the whiplash and soak up the contradictions - Why Don't You Play in Hell? is a rush.

Honourable mentions (i.e. catch me on a different day and I might replace some of the above with some of the following):
    12 Years a Slave
    Au Revoir l’ete
    Bastards
    The Babadook
    Exhibition
    Inside Llewyn Davis
    The Kirishima Thing
    Leviathan
    Manakamana
    Nightcrawler
    Night Moves
    Norte The End of History
    The Past
    The Punk Singer
    Short Peace
    A Spell to Ward off the Darkness
    Stranger by the Lake
    Timbuktu
    The Wind Rises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I wasn't sure if her technically counted as a 2014 release since it was out in 13 in the US? But yes, its definitely on my list :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Nice lists guys! Glad to see some positive comments about At Berkeley, I just got it and was a bit scared off by the running time but it sounds great.

I'll do a list in a few days, either on the basis of UK release dates or films I saw this year (so that could include things from 100 years ago and the like).

My to watch list from the past year has 78 films on it so I'm way behind with my viewing but of the ones I did watch the bet films of the year included...

Cheap Thrills - A deliciously dark and frightfully funny black comedy that features two of the best performances of the year. It's one of those low budget gems that's an absolute treat.

Cold in July - From Jim Mickle comes a wonderful slice of 70s infused pulp with a great script, some wonderful visuals, a retro score and a sense of fun that's hard not to warm to. It's a dark and adult thriller that deserves to be seen.

The Sacrament - One of the real surprises of the year, a low key and unnerving horror that features a superb central performance and a genuinely shocking conclusion.

Revenge for Jolly - A wonderfully demented and dark comedy with some shocking moments and a sense of fun that's infectious. Oscar Isaac is terrific and the cameos from a number of big stars are all fun. Anyone who ever loved a pet will find a lot to love here and identify with.

Falcon Rising - An old school action film with some of the best hand to hand combat in many a year. It's not big or clever but it is a huge amount of fun, it's the perfect Friday night film.

Stretch - One of the biggest cinematic travesties of the year is that Joe Carnahan's Stretch was dumped onto VOD and then Netflix less than a month later. It's one of those balls to the wall insane 90 minutes of cinema in which a director just has a little fun and invites the audience to sit back and go with it. Demented, ridiculously over the top and yet rather smart and fun.

The Machine - A low budget British sci-fi film that's more concerned with ideas than it is slick visuals, the latter which it has in spades. The ending is a little familiar and unevenness but this is a smart, original and well made low budget film that deserves to break out.

Starred Up - Two brilliant performances elevate what could have been a fairly generic prison drama. There's nothing here that hasn't been done before but like many great films Starred Up knows exactly what it is and what it wants to say.

The Wolf of Wall Street - A well told tale of excess with Scorscese at his most playful. Visually it's stunning and one of those rare three hour films were you could happily sit through another hour.

Snowpiercer - That this was pretty much dumped onto DVD is a sin, one of the smartest and most visually breathtaking epics in a long time. By rights it should have cleaned up at the boxoffice and been the sci-fi hit of the year.

Rob the Mob - Michael Pitt is fantastic in this true life tale of two of those dumb criminals that you wonder how they ever got away with anything. A wonderful supporting cast and a fun script help this to be so much more than another gangster drama.

Edge of Tomorrow - A summer blockbuster done right, a smart script, good performances and a number of interesting ideas. Like a lot of similar fare there's nothing here that rewrites the book but what it does it does perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

A few more to add to my list

Gone Girl - Once again a Fincher film comes along and speaks to the place I am in life. Just a brilliant black comedy with great performances and a good story well told. I can understand how so many disliked it but for me it's in the top five releases of the year and one I can't wait to watch again.

Lone Survivor - That this is a true story makes it all the more effective, a bleak and humane portrait of soldiers doing what it is they do. The stunt work is amongst the best you'll ever see and every tumble and fall has real weight to it.

The Art of the Steal - A fairly straight forward crime comedy but the presence of Kurt Russell elevates it. He's an absolute joy to watch and owns every moment he's onscreen. Ably support by a game cast including Matt Dillon, Jay Baruchel, Kenneth Walsh, Chris Diamantopoulos and Terence Stamp it's a film that never tries to be anything other than fun. Anyone who enjoys it should check out director Jonathan Sobol's previous film A Beginner's Guide to Endings.

The Counsellor Director's Cut - I have no idea if the theatrical cut is as bad as many claim but I found the extended cut to be a genuinely good film that featured some of the years best imagery. It's not without its issues but performances were great and it was a lot of fun.

Cottage Country - A horror comedy that worked, dark, violent and genuinely funny it was a treat from start to finish.

Grudge Match - It's two stars return to their most iconic roles and manages to deliver tender, humane performances that neither has came close to in years. The script is far smarter than one would expect and there's a number of genuinely funny moments.

Septic Man - A low budget gem that would properly work better as a short but manages to do a hell of a lot right. It's icky, gross, funny and rather sweet and I'd happily sit through a sequel. Best not to sit down and watch it after dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

A few more to add to my list

Gone Girl - Once again a Fincher film comes along and speaks to the place I am in life. Just a brilliant black comedy with great performances and a good story well told. I can understand how so many disliked it but for me it's in the top five releases of the year and one I can't wait to watch again.

Lone Survivor - That this is a true story makes it all the more effective, a bleak and humane portrait of soldiers doing what it is they do. The stunt work is amongst the best you'll ever see and every tumble and fall has real weight to it.

The Art of the Steal - A fairly straight forward crime comedy but the presence of Kurt Russell elevates it. He's an absolute joy to watch and owns every moment he's onscreen. Ably support by a game cast including Matt Dillon, Jay Baruchel, Kenneth Walsh, Chris Diamantopoulos and Terence Stamp it's a film that never tries to be anything other than fun. Anyone who enjoys it should check out director Jonathan Sobol's previous film A Beginner's Guide to Endings.

The Counsellor Director's Cut - I have no idea if the theatrical cut is as bad as many claim but I found the extended cut to be a genuinely good film that featured some of the years best imagery. It's not without its issues but performances were great and it was a lot of fun.

Cottage Country - A horror comedy that worked, dark, violent and genuinely funny it was a treat from start to finish.

Grudge Match - It's two stars return to their most iconic roles and manages to deliver tender, humane performances that neither has came close to in years. The script is far smarter than one would expect and there's a number of genuinely funny moments.

Septic Man - A low budget gem that would properly work better as a short but manages to do a hell of a lot right. It's icky, gross, funny and rather sweet and I'd happily sit through a sequel. Best not to sit down and watch it after dinner.

The thread is the best movies of 2014, not the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The best

The Raid 2 - just wow
    The two faces of January - nice rhythm
    The Babadook - well made horror
    The Drop - i dont care i enjoyed it

Warper wrote: »
    The thread is the best movies of 2014, not the worst

If only cinema like all art was subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Counsellor while by no means a great film got a rough deal from audiences and critics who just didn't know what to do with it. I can see it being reappraised a few years down the line, kind of a curate's egg because there's a lot of merit in it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

My top 10.

1 Blue Ruin
    2 The Wolf Of Wall Street
    3 Only Lovers Left Alive
    4 Interstellar
    5 American Hustle
    6 Under The Skin
    7 Gone Girl
    8 Mystery Road
    9 Two Days, One Night
    10 The Rover

I also really liked Joe, Cold In July, Cheap Thrills, The Guest, Nightcrawler and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Most overrated – Stranger By The Lake. Way too interested in pushing the boundaries of acceptable mainstream cinema than actually telling a satisfying story.

I missed a few notable foreign language films this year (Ida, The Grandmaster, A Touch of Sin – the reports of animal cruelty are putting me off seeking it out!) but overall the non English language releases I saw were quite disappointing. I really liked Two Days, One Night though.

Forgot to mention Blue Ruin which I thought was an exceptional piece of cinema.

To quote myself,
    Blue Ruin is one of those low key revenge thrillers that strives to say something different. Traditionally cinematic revenge stories have been more of a celebration of violence than anything else. They use the act to showcase visceral scenes of torture and death yet rarely have anything interesting to say.

Blue Ruins strives to do something a little unexpected, it's tells a familiar tale of a loner whose entire life is defined by an act of violence two decades ago and whom has been unable to get on with his life. When we first meet Dwight he's living rough, eating from dumpsters and meandering through life with no purpose till the day he learns that the man responsible for a tragedy in his past is to be freed. What follows is a tale we've seen a dozen times before, a Dwight sets out on a vengeful quest for justice stirring up the past. The plot really couldn't be much simpler and it's through the simplicity of it that Blue Ruin is most striking. There's no bombastic score or over the top came work here, rather what we get is a raw, unshowy and rather depressing look at what can drive someone so far. Visually reminiscent of No Country for Old Women this is no frills fare that's all the more striking for it.

What is most striking in Blue Ruin is how violence is used. It's never fetishised and is always shocking. There's a finality to it that's hits home, it's sudden, unexpected and affects all involved. Dwight is not some hardened bad ass and as such his actions have consequences, they mold him and leave him scarred. For me the films most striking moment was the scene of Dwight returning home to clean up the broken glass and then posting his set of keys through the letter box. It's a beautifully tender moment where Dwight says good bye to the last shred of humanity, he knows that what he has done and will do mean that he no longer belongs in civilized humanity. Visually and thematically it's reminiscent of the finale of John Ford's The Searchers where Ethan turns his back and walks off into the unknown.

I can understand why so many people dislike the film, it does nothing new and for some the lack of gratuitous violence will be a turn off but for me that's what elevates the film. It's a genre picture that knows it's genre and rather than strive for originality it instead opts to tell an intelligent, well rounded story that knows the limitations of the genre and molds a pitch perfect story around those. One criticism I can't understand is that the film is slow, when criticism such as that are leveled at a genre picture I instantly assume that it's simply a case of a viewer unable to articulate their feelings. Calling Blue Ruin slow is akin to calling a film you don't understand pretentious, it's simply doesn't fit and comes across as misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Nobody liked Guardians of the Galaxy ? ....probably the best Marvel movie to date.
    It had everything I'd want in a comic book film
    Even OP who is a huge marvel fan he says :P

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Nobody liked Guardians of the Galaxy ? ....probably the best Marvel movie to date.
    It had everything I'd want in a comic book film
    Even OP who is a huge marvel fan he says :P

I enjoyed it for what it was, a mindless piece of popcorn that felt far too familiar to genuinely impress. There were some moments of true wonderment in there, Groot ligthing up the room may be one of my scenes of the year but overall it just felt a little too bombastic for its own good. Peter exploring the temple, the back and forth between the characters , the music and and the firefly scene were genuinely wonderful moments that I want to see more of and less generic battles.

I do think that Captain America: The Winter Soldier was the better film though Guardians was the more fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No I agree, I loved guardians. But cap 2 feels like by far the better movie. Not that it diminishes guardians at all, just if I had to pick :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

How is snow piercer on some bodies list ?
    It's was horrifically bad!

Ended up doing a longer list of the films I enjoyed the most in 2014, the top 5 are in order and the rest are in the order I remembered them. I have a huge number of films from last year to catch including a lot of foreign films which I'm waiting to get a release over here.

1) Cheap Thrills and The Guest -
    Cheap Thrills features two blistering performances, it's a dark and dark comedy that's a brilliant deconstruction of the American dream. It's simply exceptional.
    The Guest much like Cheap Thrills is darkly comedic, features brilliant performances as well as a number of exceptional set pieces and "David" is one of cinemas all time great antiheroes. Both films also have brilliant scores which are essential listening for anyone with the ability to hear.

2) Blue Ruin - Just a wonderful piece of cinema, a dark and brooding revenge tale that's more concerned with the scars such acts inflict than it is gratuitous violence.

3) Cold in July - A pulpy noir tale with superb performances, a blistering retro 80s score, gorgeous visuals and a smart script. Jim Mickle is one of the most interesting and unique voices in cinema and this is his masterpiece.

4) Gone Girl - David Fincher's attack on marriage and relationships came along at just a pivotal time in my life and renewed my faith in the **** you attitude i so love. It's darkly humorous, intelligent and well acted with some of the most gorgeous visuals in a long time. The kind of film that leaves you desperate to revisit it.

5) Mystery Road - An exceptional noir infused modern western that's simply breathtaking to behold. A simple story well told with a brilliant lead performance and a script that recognizes that simplicity is often best.

6) The Rover - Anther superb piece of cinema out of Australia. This is less a traditional narrative than it is a mood piece and as such it's not for everyone but those who like to be challenged will find a lot to love. Guy Pearce is exceptional in the central role and does so much with very little, he has such screen presence and shows once again why he's the most criminally underrated actor in the world. Pattenson is equally good and shows that he's so much more than a pretty face.

7) The Raid 2 - 2 and a half hours of the most intense, unrelentingly brutal violence that you are ever likely to see. Uping the ante considerably this is a sequel that goes all out and stages some of the most over the top insanity ever put on screen. The story may be a second rate Kitano rip off but who cares when so much visceral violence is on screen.

8) Fruitvale Station - Technically I watched this in 2013 but it only received an Irish release in November of 2014. A truly harrowing and heartbreaking story that's beautifully told and stays with you long after the credits have rolled.

9) The Sacrament - One of the few found footage films that I genuinely like. A brilliantly told story that makes great use of the format to tell the story in an interesting manner. The final third is breathtaking and brave, easily one of the most intense horror films in a long time.

10) Lucy - Utter nonsense and all the better for it. The opening 20 minutes and final 30 are awe inspiring and Besson really goes all out. it's how I imagine Malick would make an action film only Besson goes all out. Really is a joy to behold.

11) Snowpiercer - It's a sin that this has yet to find distribution over here. It's the smartest, most outrageously fun sci-fi blockbusters in many a year and features beautifully orchestrated violence, great performances and some inspired ideas. It's everything you want from a film and more.

12) Felony - Another one from Australia, and the second in this list written by Joel Edgerton. The script here isn't all that but there's a sense of realism to proceedigns that's enticing. Performances are excellent with Jai Courtney really impressing. It's a low key character drama that impresses without ever feeling the need to show off.

13) Edge of Tomorrow - The best summer blockbuster in years, smart, funny and a hell of a lot of fun. It's the kind of nonsense that you savor on a Friday night. Cruise is obviously having a blast and it's all played just the rght way.

14) Need For Speed - Yes, I know that car racing film, how can it be on any best of year list. Well it features some of the most exhilarating car chases ever put on screen and there's little CGI on display and while the story is utter nonsense the race sequences are enough to make up for it. It's the kind of easy to watch trash we could do with more of.

15) Pride - A feel good comedic gem that's just an utter joy to watch. From the pitch perfect soundtrack to the wonderful performances tothe smart script it's 2 hours of wonder. Honestly it's the kind of film that no matter how down in the dumps you are will leave you with a huge smile on your face.

16) Stretch - Joe Carnahan delivers 2014's most over the top insanity. A wonderful piece of absurd cinema that dials everything up to 11 and just goes with it. In a just world Stretch would be a huge hit but sadly it was dumped straight to VOD in the US and onto Netflix a month later. Everyone needs to watch Stretch now.

17) Revenge for Jolly - This is one of those low budget gems that came out of nowhere and blew me away. A demented and over the top revenge thriller with an exceptional performance from Oscar Isaacs, some of the best cameos in cinema and gratuitous over the top violence. It's a film for dog lovers the world over

18) Pieces of Talent - The kind of low budget horror film that we so rarely see. Intelligent, wonderfully twisted, brilliantly acted and gorgeous to look at it. It's a treat from start to finish and leaves you hungry to see what Joe Stauffer does next.

19) The Machine - Low budget sci-fi the likes of which we rarely see. A smart script with a number of original ideas, a great atmospheric score, strong performance and gorgeous visuals all make for an exception film.

20) Small Time - This made for TV film is a low key tale of friendship and growing older. It's a bittersweet and melancholic tale that features two great central performances and a damn good script. It's smart, funny, sad and adult without ever feeling the need to be gratuitous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

1. Boyhood- I think its fair to say this finished top on many peoples end of year list. I still think Dazed and Confused is Linklaters best film though, what a amazing film that is.

2. The Raid 2- Action cinema doesn't get as epic as this. The last half hour is the best piece of cinema of the year.

3. Gone Girl- Not Fincher's best but still a great thriller with a brilliant central performance from Rosamund Pike.

4. NightCrawler- Jake Gyllenhaal is turning into one of the bets actors around, he delivers his best performance here. Funny, dark and tense, One of the best shot films of the year too.

5. Under the Skin-Jonathan Glazer is turning into one of the best directors. Scarlett Johansson gives her best performance to date. Also I give best soundtrack of the year to Mica Levi, haunting and beautiful.

6. Interstellar-Not Nolan's best but a lot better then a lot of people are given it credit for. Matthew McConaughey is brilliant as always and holds the film together. The scenes in Iceland are amazing.

7. 12 Year A Slave-Not McQueen's best film (Hunger still gets that nod) but a tough and hard watch with a top notch performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor.

8. Guadrians Of The Galaxy-Marvel's best movie to date, just a lot of fun with a star making performance from Chris Pratt and what all blockbuster's should be about.

9. The Grand Budapest Hotel-Wes Anderson's best film to date with Ralph Fiennes delivering his best performance too. A lot of fun and a lot of heart to this

10. We Are The Best-Lukas Moodysson's return to form, a funny comedy about teen girls starting a punk band has gone by unnoticed in critic's end of year list's but deserving praising.

11. The Guest-The biggest surprise of the year for me, Drive mixed with 80's Horror with a cool soundtrack. Dan Steven's delivers a top notch performance. Plus it's so Funny.

12. Starred Up-Jack O'Connell goes all Tom Hardy in this great prison drama

13. Locke-Tom Hardy gives the best performance of the year in this one location tense drama.

14. Captain America Winter Soldier-Another top notch Marvel film with a mix of 70's spy thriller and Raid like action, delivers the most adult of Comic book films.

15. Her- Spike Jonze deliver's his best film to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Mystery Road - An exceptional noir infused modern western that's simply breathtaking to behold. A simple story well told with a brilliant lead performance and a script that recognizes that simplicity is often best.

And the best shootout of the year! Some great genre films from Australia recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Decuc500 wrote: »
    And the best shootout of the year! Some great genre films from Australia recently.

Red Hill was another one I loved from a few years back from Australia. A Bit like a Western set in modern times. I loved Mystery Road pity it wasn't given a decent release (I know it was released in the IFI for a week). Yeah the shootout was amazing as was the main lead Aaron Pedersen also Red Hill hero Ryan Kwanten playing a bad guy too. Both of these films are made on low budgets but look a million bucks. Pity filmmakers and Writers here don't take any notice.

Advertisement