Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The only problem I have with hipsters is..

Options
  • 19-12-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Well to be fair I'm probably a bit of a 'hipster' myself in ways. To me(someone living in London), having visited shoreditch and the like which is supposedly a hipster paradise,I feel hipsterism has become a paradox of sorts, It's fundamental ideal being free expression. It seems its just become about fashion statement- beards, skinny jeans being a uniform etc...

It kind of reminds me of the hippies I met in Goa with iphones :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Fookin Bolloxs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So you have a beard, have a side parting with a sideways quiff and wear clothes more suited for someone 20yrs your junior...imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

I've a cousin thats doing fashion in Dublin so she's turned into a complete hipster. Speaks with a very convincing Californian accent and denies all knowledge of Roscommon and it's going ons. I'm allergic to her and refuse to converse with her while she speaks with the ridiculous accent.

The Christmas drinks entertainment will be what she'll wear. Last year it was the check chef pants that she swore was high fashion. Got quare looks at communion time on Xmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Even hipsters hate hipsters cos it ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Soups123

I don't have a fcukin clue what a hipster is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Soups123 wrote: »

You'll find them all over Trinity's campus wearing plaid lumberjack shirts, skinny jeans and some goofy luminous pair of sunglasses and saying the word "Random" a lot to sound quirky and interesting. When really they'd bore the arse off you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    You'll find them all over Trinity's campus wearing plaid lumberjack shirts, skinny jeans and some goofy luminous pair of sunglasses and saying the word "Random" a lot to sound quirky and interesting. When really they'd bore the arse off you!

I think I'd lose the will to live tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

lufties wrote: »
    I think I'd lose the will to live tbh...

Ditto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I hate hipsters - they drag down around your ar5e. I prefer straight-cuts, you don't rely on the belt so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I've a cousin thats doing fashion in Dublin so she's turned into a complete hipster. Speaks with a very convincing Californian accent and denies all knowledge of Roscommon and it's going ons. I'm allergic to her and refuse to converse with her while she speaks with the ridiculous accent.

The Christmas drinks entertainment will be what she'll wear. Last year it was the check chef pants that she swore was high fashion. Got quare looks at communion time on Xmas morning.

It is to het eternal credit that she denies all knowledge of Roscommon. No one goes to communion on Xmas morning except the elderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

zcorpian88 wrote: »

They're just queuin to look at the book of Kells. Lighten up. Dude. Like. Radically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

The definition of hipster has gone all over the place. Nowadays if someone looks a bit different it's automatically a 'hipster'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Soups123 wrote: »

This is a hipster. It's an extreme form of wankerism.

hipster-fashion.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

What's with all the recent hatred for hipsters on here?

I hated them before it was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

What specifically makes that guy a hipster? It's a guy with a beard. Ok waistcoat but that's not very out there.

Most generations since the war have had youth sub-cultures. The last ten years have seen fewer sub cultures than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Surely the exposure that the hipster scene has gotten means it can't last long? Onto the next thing? I think the beard bubble is gonna collapse in the new year (sporting a version myself at the mo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭a person.

Are hipsters still a thing in Ireland ? They are so 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

This is a hipster. It's an extreme form of wankerism.

hipster-fashion.jpg

Hipsters turned into models? Back in my day they didn't look like that, they have evolved :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Premiership Footballers and Neds in general have co-opted the look, which probably means it ain't going to be around for much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Did you hear about the hipster who burned his tongue?
    He wanted to drink his soup before it was cool

Hipsters turned into models? Back in my day they didn't look like that, they have evolved :pac:

whats wrong with looking normal with fitted clothing and without a beard?

I hear thats the way we're heading :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

Back in the day hipsters where know as geeks,nerds.
    Since when did wearing glasses and a bum fluff beard become cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

All her Dub classmates probably snigger behind her back and call her a muck savage.

All her Dub classmates probably snigger behind her back and call her a muck savage.

I know, its cringeworthy..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

mmmcake wrote: »
    Back in the day hipsters where know as geeks,nerds.
    Since when did wearing glasses and a bum fluff beard become cool?

Yeah i was thinking that. This look would have been derided a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

The problem i have is i don't consider myself to be a hipster but many others see me that way.
    I have a beard, wear skinny jeans, work in the design industry, collect vinyl records, have a macbook. pretty much all I'm missing is the glasses.

Im still saying I'm not really a hipster though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Only thing worse than hipsters is boggers.

A bogger hipster is like some sort of Stephen King nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

dd972 wrote: »
    Premiership Footballers and Neds in general have co-opted the look, which probably means it ain't going to be around for much longer.

The multi coloured boots are hilarious these days, what happened to black British Umbros. Could you imagine guys like Chopper Harris playing in what they wear today.

• Advertisement

A salt of the earth hipster :P

Advertisement