Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building control certification

Options
  • 19-12-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I am looking for some general advice in relation to the building control regulations which are a bit confusing. I am assisting a spritely elderly relative. His old timber garage collapsed and damaged his vintage pride and joy car and damaged the neighbours fence and caused hell to get an insurance payout. Now he needs a new garage quick so I am looking at a metal kit garage 6m x 4m as it will not require planning.

My questions

Will this building require a design compliance (architect) or a assigned certifer (engineer) not for planning but to certify that the building is correctly put together, this is for the insurance company when he goes to insure his 35k vintage car. ( The problem was when the shed partially collapsed the shed insurance would not pay for damage to the fence and the car insurance covered the damage but the damage to the neighbours fence and shrubs cost 5k out of his own pocket to fix properly)

A metal shed company said as its a temporary bolted down building there is no need for compliance is this true or does the shed company need to supply a certificate of compliance with their shed. ( Insurance company would not pay out if no compliance??)

Looking at details in the treads if the property had to be sold, would compliance be required by law, would the shed have to be taken down to avoid holding up a sale.

Finally am I assuming correctly if I decided to go for a 6m x 9m shed 54m2 for the man it would need the " Holy Trinity" as referred to in the treads a full design team for a bolted down metal shed.

Sorry for being long winded. I have always found this website useful for information. I will possibly have to engage a professional but I would like comments first just to understand the process.

Advertisement