Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half bottles sherry, port?

Options
  • 19-12-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Both go off once the bottle is opened but I seldom use up a bottle within a few weeks so they have to be thrown out lest they poison someone.

I've had a look in a few of the main chains but haven't seen any half bottles - any help out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I know Bradley's, North Main Street do half bottles of fortified wines.

An open bottle of fortified wine doesn't "go off" and will not poison anyone. Yes, they should be drunk soon after opening but that's just to appreciate the full complexity. I've drunk and cooked with port that has been open for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just buy a decent chunk of Stilton and a good fruit cake and see how long a bottle of port will last you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I know Bradley's, North Main Street do half bottles of fortified wines.

An open bottle of fortified wine doesn't "go off" and will not poison anyone. Yes, they should be drunk soon after opening but that's just to appreciate the full complexity. I've drunk and cooked with port that has been open for years.

It won't kill you but it does go stale (oxidisation I guess).

Both go off once the bottle is opened but I seldom use up a bottle within a few weeks so they have to be thrown out lest they poison someone.

I've had a look in a few of the main chains but haven't seen any half bottles - any help out there?

You'll get half bottles of Harvey's sherry and Sandman 3 star port in dunnes and tesco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

In my experience, port drinks itself. And often with disastrous consequences the day after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

You'll get half bottles of Harvey's sherry and Sandman 3 star port in dunnes and tesco.

Didn't see them in Dun Laoghaire Tesco or Cornelscourt Dunnes and didn't have time to ask. For sherry would be looking for Tio Pepe. I know it doesn't "go off" or poison anyone but it doesn't taste so good.

As far as finding it easy to drink the whole thing goes - why do you think I'm looking for a smaller bottle;) - too many massive port hangovers in the past:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Just go for warres otima tawny smaller bottle as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Just go for warres otima tawny smaller bottle as standard.

Yes, a really nice port(10yo I've had) . 50cl. bottle. A present of that made me interested in tawny port above other styles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

freeze in ice cubes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mitchell's in chq do half bottles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tawny port will keep best of all ports when opened, something to do with how it's produced (at least according to the wine book I'm reading by Gerald Asher...)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

M&S

Advertisement