Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Bill

Options
  • 19-12-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I moved to a new apartment at start of May.

The apartment block was new so we were the first tenants in our apartment. I agreed with the estate agent to sign up to the electric with Bord Gais and he said he would take the reading and submit it.

So when I got my first bill I thought to myself that’s very high so went and checked how to read metre - you press several buttons and get several different numbers. But being new to ROI and paying electric in general I thought I’ll leave it until I see the next quarterly bill. It came recently and low and behold the first bill is considerably more than the first.

Now considering that the first 3 monthly bill was within summer months May-July (and we were there a lot less) and the second bill covers autumn months Aug-Oct (we were there all the time) I definitely think we were overcharged on the first quarter.

I am nearly certain that the estate agent guy read the metre wrong at the start but how could I prove this – Have I a leg to stand on? Just wanted some advice before I rang them. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Are the bills estimated or were reads taken?

If you think the starting read was wrong you can't really do much about it at this point as you didn't check it myself. As it was a new apartment, should the read not have been 0 or pretty close to 0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Just send in a meter-reading for releasing of a one-off bill - this will reflect the exact balance on your electricity account. Any over-payment up to now will be accounted for.
    Or if you think the meter-reading was taken incorrectly, advise BG and they will check to see whether the first reading tallies with subsequent readings or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I agreed with the estate agent to sign up to the electric with Bord Gais and he said he would take the reading and submit it.

Here is probably where the problem lies. the estate agent is most likely responsible for the payment of the electricity for the time before you moved in but has given the original start reading as your start reading meaning you pay for the power from before you moved in. estate agents will usually do anything to save a few euro and pulling such stunts is second nature to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

are you payng for apartment hallway lighting,turn off all your power to see if meter is running

are you heating with electricity

did the builder use the electricity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Here is probably where the problem lies. the estate agent is most likely responsible for the payment of the electricity for the time before you moved in but has given the original start reading as your start reading meaning you pay for the power from before you moved in.
    Check the first bill to see if this is the case - it will say the date from which usage is being billed for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

3 monthly bills?

Advertisement