Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xmas public holidays 2014

Options
  • 19-12-2014 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

well the xmas rota has been put up in the shop i work in. im working there about 3 months now. its marked in for xmas day B/H for everyone one meaning they get paid there public holiday entitlement and CLOSED for me so i wont be getting anything and the same for the other 2 public holidays.
    i was gonna print out the info from citizens information site showing them i am entitled to it as well but dont want to rock the boat because they'll make my life a misery no doubt.
    i usually work thurs to sunday and xmas day is a thurs this year and st Stephens a fri so as i wont get my public holiday pay my wages for the week are going to be terrible.
    any ideas what i can do? without causing too much of a fuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why are you posting in 2 threads? The advice Elmo gave in the other one is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

I low its drastic but tbh, I really wouldn't stand for that ****e. I remember one of your other posts about how you were being treated..but if it was me, you wouldn't see me for dust.
    I get that finding a job is hard in Donegal, but still. I think coz you're the last in, maybe they think you don't have many entitlements. true, maybe you don't compared to someone who has been there for years, but I think you should leave. you don't even have to give them that much notice because you're only there 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

berger89 wrote: »
    I low its drastic but tbh, I really wouldn't stand for that ****e. I remember one of your other posts about how you were being treated..but if it was me, you wouldn't see me for dust.
    I get that finding a job is hard in Donegal, but still. I think coz you're the last in, maybe they think you don't have many entitlements. true, maybe you don't compared to someone who has been there for years, but I think you should leave. you don't even have to give them that much notice because you're only there 3 months

yeah its like working for John waine-biggest bunch of cowboys ive ever met. I'd love to name and shame them but know that would do me no favours.
    leaving wouldnt be an option just yet dont think i could face €100 on the dole! they think that they can treat new employees how they like from what I've seen since i started, id love to get my own back when i finally do get another job report them to the relevant authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

see, they know that you're cornered. they know you won't leave. they know you need the job.
    my brother is the very same. he's been working for his company over 10 years..crazy hard work, terribly unsocial hours-definitely illegal (as in, he works about 20hours a day, 5/6 days a week). its only lately that he's getting pissed off with it, yet he's stuck there because his wife has no job and he has a huge mortgage to pay. his boss know this, but continues to push my brother to the limit, knowing that he has him trapped. its a vicious little circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

huggy15 wrote: »
    i was gonna print out the info from citizens information site showing them i am entitled to it as well but dont want to rock the boat because they'll make my life a misery no doubt.

With respect, repeatedly discussing it on boards.ie won't solve this problem if your employer isn't giving you what you are entitled to and you aren't prepared to challenge them. None of us have the ability to grant you a paid day off.

My advice here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93316916&postcount=3 is still relevant.

You need to challenge your employer, and if they continue to refuse your request then tell them you'll be making a complaint under the Organisation of Working Time Act (which might prompt a rethink on their behalf). If they still won't budge submit your complaint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement