Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Braces - Sister can't close her mouth or chew

Options
  • 18-12-2014 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    My kid sister got her top braces on today, but she's just after telling me they put a 'hard chalky substance' under her two back teeth, the purpose of which is to 'stop her front tooth from going into the other one' (quoting from the messages I'm getting).
    Apparently, this substance is preventing her mouth from closing and preventing her from chewing. Unfortunately, the dentist is closed tomorrow for their xmas break (otherwise I'd talk to them about it)
    Any help guys? Is this normal? Temporary?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

It may be what is called an "orthodontic bite plane"? (ref Google images!)
    I'm surprised that she&/parent wasn't given advice or information re, especially considering the practice is now closed for the next few days. Even so, lesson learned, if in doubt, ask the person you're paying to provide the service, communication is a 2-way process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Dianthus wrote: »
    It may be what is called an "orthodontic bite plane"? (ref Google images!)
    I'm surprised that she&/parent wasn't given advice or information re, especially considering the practice is now closed for the next few days. Even so, lesson learned, if in doubt, ask the person you're paying to provide the service, communication is a 2-way process

A bit of mis-communication from the sister - they're open tomorrow, she'll be phoning them to ask them about this. I wasn't there with her, and apparently they never told her what to expect, since she messaged me in a panic wondering why she can't eat.
    She's told me that the dentist called it cement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Might be a "bite ramp" so. Obviously it has been placed purposely& has a function in the treatment. The practice will be used to various queries from patients, if your sister attended alone today there should be no issue with her phoning them herself to ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Dianthus wrote: »
    Might be a "bite ramp" so. Obviously it has been placed purposely& has a function in the treatment. The practice will be used to various queries from patients, if your sister attended alone today there should be no issue with her phoning them herself to ask

Thanks. Since posting this thread, I've gone and asked Google, and learned that it's quite common for braces-users to have trouble chewing in the initial stages and tend to eat soft foods.. This has me in a rage, since this was never explained to the sister, even when I was there at the initial consultation (and especially because I'm the one footing the bill!). At no point before today, did the dentist mention anything about changing diet.

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Thanks. Since posting this thread, I've gone and asked Google, and learned that it's quite common for braces-users to have trouble chewing in the initial stages and tend to eat soft foods.. This has me in a rage, since this was never explained
    You'd be surprised how quickly people adapt. It's not unreasonable to anticipate some discomfort/altered chewing efficiency when you have appliances in your mouth exerting pressure on the teeth in order to straighten them.
    No one has ever starved as a result of wearing braces ;)
    (PS funding treatment a fantastic thing to do for your sibling...she will thank you in the end!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Thanks. Since posting this thread, I've gone and asked Google, and learned that it's quite common for braces-users to have trouble chewing in the initial stages and tend to eat soft foods.. This has me in a rage, since this was never explained to the sister, even when I was there at the initial consultation (and especially because I'm the one footing the bill!). At no point before today, did the dentist mention anything about changing diet.

I have these, it's weird for a bit but you get used to it quickly. You don't really have to change diet, you just have to learn to chew with essentially only two molars(one on each side).

Advertisement