Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey advice. ..

Options
  • 18-12-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭

Want to get some whiskey for Christmas but can't decide on which ones....

Last year I got Woodford Reserve, Redbreast 12 yo and Bushmills 10 yo.

This year I already have Greenore 8 yo (first for me) but want to add 2 more bottles.

I'm thinking maybe 2 from Green Spot , Writer's Tears or Cadhru 12 yo. I've had Green Spot before but am afraid i might regret not getting it again.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

If you enjoyed the Woodford Reserve and fancy going for another bourbon this year, Makers Mark would be a good choice. Buffalo Trace would also be a good bet, but if I had to choose between the two it would be the Makers Mark. Both would be roughly comparable in price to the Woodford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

green spot, yellow spot or writers tears are the best

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

greenspot > writers tears > yellow spot

I have gotten several of these if that takes our fancy - 5 little vials of different whiskeys
    http://flaviar.com/tasting-packs Too late for xmas obv.

also Japanese whiskey is awesome.

bushmills 16 is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I'd definitely get the Writers Tears if I was in your shoes. It's an exceptional Whiskey. I'd also suggest the Jameson Black Barrel which has a lot more character than the normal Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Another +1 for writers tears, my new favourite whiskey! :)
    Had yellow spot over the weekend and I was expecting more from it based on its price!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah i found it disappointing too, green was much nicer. I only had writers tears when I was trying Japanese whiskeys so not sure if it got a fair shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I was in a similar position myself in terms of wanting a couple of good bottles for xmas but had no firm idea of what I really wanted though.

Bought a few sample bottles from the Celtic whiskey shop which helped point me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 the ax murderer

Speaking of Maker's Mark, anyone know of any shops selling it in Dublin?

I dropped in James Fox's but they didn't have it.

Its on O Briens website anyway....Id ring whatever branch ahead though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

greenspot > writers tears > yellow spot

I have gotten several of these if that takes our fancy - 5 little vials of different whiskeys
    http://flaviar.com/tasting-packs Too late for xmas obv.

also Japanese whiskey is awesome.

bushmills 16 is very nice.

Any recommendations for Japanese Whiskey around the 40 -50 price range?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Get another Redbreast and see if you an pick up a bottle of Jameson Black Barrell (best whiskey of last year for me).

That Greenore is a lovely whsikey too

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Get another Redbreast and see if you an pick up a bottle of Jameson Black Barrell (best whiskey of last year for me).

That Greenore is a lovely whsikey too

Redbreast is only 57 euro in Tesco at the moment but i think i will go for Green Spot this year with either Writer's Tears or a similarly priced Japanese single malt if I can find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

ye're mad lads, Yellow Spot is a great dram, Writers' Tears is grand.

Bottle of Laphroaig bought at lunchtime :pac:

Got the 10 year old as I couldn't afford the 18 yr. Anyone sampled both? Is there a huge difference?

jh79 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for Japanese Whiskey around the 40 -50 price range?

I'm not really sure of any shop that has them here, would ye do online?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Trond wrote: »
    Its on O Briens website anyway....Id ring whatever branch ahead though...

Molloys also have it on their website. Drinkstore do as well, but it's dearer there.

Bottle of Laphroaig bought at lunchtime :pac:

Got the 10 year old as I couldn't afford the 18 yr. Anyone sampled both? Is there a huge difference?

The 18 year old is a little more refined. I like Laphroaig but not sure I would spend the extra for the 18 year old. Now Connemara Cask Strength is my favourite peated whiskey and one I would stretch to but I don't think its readily available any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

The Teelings single grain is an interesting one that's about at the minute.

I also love the Powers John's Lane

I'm not really sure of any shop that has them here, would ye do online?

Yeah online isn't a problem.

In the end I got Green Spot, Power's John Lane, Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel and Greenore 8 year old.

• Advertisement

In the end I got Green Spot, Power's John Lane, Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel and Greenore 8 year old.

2 fantastic whiskeys - Green Spot and Greenore
    1 greatest Irish whiskey ever contender - Powers JL
    1 I've never tried.

you did ok

buck65 wrote: »
    2 fantastic whiskeys - Green Spot and Greenore
    1 greatest Irish whiskey ever contender - Powers JL
    1 I've never tried.

you did ok

Got the Jameson Black Barrel for 40 and the Powers for 65, tesco are accepting competitor vouchers so thanks to aldi and the Sunday World got 20 euro off. Happy out at 85 euro for the two.

How are people drinking their Powers JL ?

Neat or with a small drop of water ala single malts?

How are people drinking their Powers JL ?

Neat or with a small drop of water ala single malts?

I put in one ice cube and then wait for it to melt. Are you meant to treat single pot stills different to single malts?

I put in one ice cube and then wait for it to melt. Are you meant to treat single pot stills different to single malts?

No idea!!! im only at this malarkey a few months! :D

I always drink whiskey neat, no ice. However if it's a cask strength I might add a few drops (literally) of water to temper the alcohol a little and I find it opens up the whiskey aroma that can sometimes be consumed by the alcohol.

Pot stills are delicious neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think a few drops of water opens up any whisk(e) y. I'll often add a drop to rum or congnac too.

Whatever tastes best to you is the best way to drink it. It amazes me the amount of people who tell me I'm wrong to put water in MY spirits when they've never tried it themselves.

A little ice can be nice in some spirits too, I find.

I do think it is a waste of good spirits to mix with coke or similar, though.

Over in France for Christmas with the outlaws and looking in the supermarkets for a couple of pressies for myself.

Aberlour 12 year old single malt @ €22

Hibiki Suntory Whisky 12 year blended @ €49

Any thoughts on these? Are they good value?

Went for the Hibiki in the end and it is feckin lovely !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement