Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law and Business.

Options
  • 18-12-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Looking for some guidance in picking a course to study in Trinity. I would love to study business but not business on it's own, Bess isn't for me and I'm not interested in doing a language, so I started looking at Law and Business but I'm wondering is it evenly distributed 50-50 e.g. 50% is law and 50% is business or is there any way we can pick how it's distributed e.g. pick more business modules

If anyone is currently doing (or done) Law and business could they tell me what it's like please and thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

I'm wondering is it evenly distributed 50-50 e.g. 50% is law and 50% is business or is there any way we can pick how it's distributed e.g. pick more business modules

Literally googled it and the answer was the first result:
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

You can pick your modules in third and fourth year. In third year, your modules must be a third law and a third business, the remainder can be chosen from either. In fourth year you can chose to do a mixture of either.

I'm doing the course now and love it. Law has a huge amount of reading while business has a lot of group work and assignments.

Glad to answer any questions you may have, fire them over!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Seanagh30895

Moomat wrote: »
    You can pick your modules in third and fourth year. In third year, your modules must be a third law and a third business, the remainder can be chosen from either. In fourth year you can chose to do a mixture of either.

I'm doing the course now and love it. Law has a huge amount of reading while business has a lot of group work and assignments.

Glad to answer any questions you may have, fire them over!

That's great, I like the idea of having a choice in the modules. Would you say its a hard course? And what's the workload like?

Thanks in advance.

That's great, I like the idea of having a choice in the modules. Would you say its a hard course? And what's the workload like?

Thanks in advance.

I'm only in first year so limited experience; so far the workload is heavy but easily manageable. With law, there is a huge amount of reading to do. It's not just reading and getting the gist, it's more reading and really breaking down the judgments and articles etc into concepts that you can help to shape your thinking.
    In first year there is one optional business module; I chose Maths & Stats and found it quite hard, so much so that I changed to another optional module which was Central and Eastern European Studies. Other than that I wouldn't say it's a hard course, challenging yes, but if you enjoy the subject material you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marieh18886

Hi, I have a lot of questions I'd love for you to answer.

1. Do law and business actually overlap or do they do so just briefly?

2. What does Quantitative methods for business mean? is it the maths module for the LLB?

3. Since I'm more focused on law would my chances to excel and law be hindered in comparison to the pure law students?

• Advertisement

2 entirely separate schools. Law will be taught by the Law School and you will share classes with other Law & courses, alongside pure law students. The business modules are taught by the Business School or Economics School, and you will share classes with many other courses, the largest of which is BESS.

However, there can be a large degree of indirect overlap. For example, last year I was enrolled on an IT Law (law) module and a Digital Technology in Operations (business) module. Both modules looked at things like AI, Big Data, and Autonomous Vehicles. Being able to bring content from one discipline is interesting and good for your grades.
    Hi, I have a lot of questions I'd love for you to answer.

2. What does Quantitative methods for business mean? is it the maths module for the LLB?

First I heard of it. A quick google suggests that it is optional for L&B students. The lecturer, Brian Lucey, blogs regularly. Have a look to give you a flavour of his style.

3. Since I'm more focused on law would my chances to excel and law be hindered in comparison to the pure law students?

Dunno. It all depends on how good you are at the combined components. I do know that L&B students get proportionally far more firsts than pure law students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Moomat wrote: »
    I do know that L&B students get proportionally far more firsts than pure law students.

That's probably because Law and Business students tend to be the smartest ***** out of all of the law classes :pac:

Also, the business module grades tend to bring up their avg. as law lecturers tend to be quite mean with grades, so I've been told, but I think it's mostly down to the above reason.

Advertisement