Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment - Leak from patio area above

Options
  • 18-12-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

There is a leak from the patio area above my apartment and it is coming down through my ceiling. This has been going on since about April. The management company fixed the leak around June and repaired my ceiling. But it started leaking again through again in August. They have tried fixing it again and failed. Now anytime I contact them via email or calling I'm getting no response. Either the managing agent is out of the office when I call or there is no response to my email. The leak is annoying me now so much. What are my options? Should I go down the road of a solicitors letter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Send one last email, Say something like- I ____ am giving x days notice. If you do not contact me I'm getting it sorted myself and will pass the bill on to ye. That should get you a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

find out where their office is a call over make it clear you will do so again if necessary so that they have no choice but to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

ken wrote: »
    Send one last email, Say something like- I ____ am giving x days notice. If you do not contact me I'm getting it sorted myself and will pass the bill on to ye. That should get you a response.

I would have got it done myself but the apartment above me I would need access to. It has a large patio balcony. Now saying that there has been no problem from the landlord above for access before but that was through the management company.

find out where their office is a call over make it clear you will do so again if necessary so that they have no choice but to sort it out.

Unfortunately there office is the other side of the city and I can't get over through opening hours.

Where the water is coming in there lumps that look like stalactites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The building is not your property. undertaking any work or authorising someone else to undertake this repair would be unlawful and breach your contract and your block insurance policy. You could be sued and damages could be sought. If the work affects another member they could also take a case against you so I would advise against making yourself liable for this.

The first act of any OMC would be to reverse these works immediately and have them ripped out. Also you cannot pass any cost onto them whatsoever.

If this is a managing agent then write to them registered post outlining the full history. Also, get the actual company directors off the CRO and write to them as well. Copy everything via email and keep full records yourself.

Include pictures of the damage to everyone.

Going the solicitor route is not advised as what do you want them to do except take your money? The company already has an obligation to repair this but they can only do this with money.

If the company has no funds then maybe you could suggest contributing on the basis the real fault is determined prior to any more patch jobs.

Then you need to ensure that the company is will funded to deal with these problems by voting for an increase in service fees to bolster sinking funds.

Thanks Lantus for that insight. I will do as you have advised above.

Advertisement