Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to watch The Hobbit?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going to see this today. 2D, 3D or 3D high frame rate? Been a while since I've actually gone to the cinema so which one should i go to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

2D, regular frame rate. You don't deserve the headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Saw It in 3D thought it was ****e, everyone said it was better in 2D, I think the movie was just ****e tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Saw the first one in 3D High Frame rate and I had a rotten headache for the rest of the day. See it in 2d.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Left half way through. Went to the 2d but load of ****e to be sitting there watching a movie to show off dodgy CGI. So annoying when they couldn't add a little blood to a throat slash or a spear in the chest.

Between the Total war graphics and voice alterations i just went shopping for xmas. 5 euro for the ticket so wasn't to bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

With your eyes is the best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You should do 3D HFR because you're going to the cinema, you should have a unique experience! You've the rest of time to see it in 2D in your own house and you can compare them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Haven't seen the first two and know next to nothing about the book, so I think I'll go see it in 3D HFR just to find out what's the most confused my brain can possibly get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

For me the 3D plays like the film is running 1.5 times that of normal speed. Just odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Read the book .

watching a movie in 3D reminds me of the days i used to force myself into watching those dark blurry pirated movies back in the day. Avoid at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

watching a movie in 3D reminds me of the days i used to force myself into watching those dark blurry pirated movies back in the day. Avoid at all costs.

Saw this movie in 3D and HFR and it was like watching one of those crappy cam versions you can find online the same day the film is released only with better sound quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

e_e wrote: »
    2D, regular frame rate. You don't deserve the headache.

This. Don't encourage the 3D nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You should do 3D HFR because you're going to the cinema, you should have a unique experience! You've the rest of time to see it in 2D in your own house and you can compare them.

Watching a film in 2D on a big cinema screen is a unique cinema experience in itself. I don't see why making it 3D and headache inducing is required to make it unique?

Went to see it on Sunday. Reminded me why I really hate overused CGI. Felt like I was watching videogame cut scenes for half of it.

Best thing I can say about the film is that it's (hopefully) the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

As a TV mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

HFR looks weird and cheapens the look of the whole thing, makes CGI really obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I take the view that 3D and HFR are in their infancy and we'll have to get on with it until the technology develops. The potential for something extraordinary is there - the Holographic star map scene in Prometheus springs to mind - but whether the audience has the patience to get to that point or not is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I take the view that 3D and HFR are in their infancy and we'll have to get on with it until the technology develops. The potential for something extraordinary is there - the Holographic star map scene in Prometheus springs to mind - but whether the audience has the patience to get to that point or not is another thing.

3D has been around for ages now and it's still an unbearable gimmick in most films.

The problem isn't the technology, it's the use of that technology. I've seen it put to some great uses too like you said. Thing is, most films just don't need it.

I hate when you're watching a 2D film and it's painfully obvious that it's a '3D gimmick part' where a sword/character is positioned so that they'd be popping out of the screen if you were watching it in 3D. Just seems so contrived.

Advertisement