Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go with open degree or named degree with OU?

Options
  • 17-12-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I've just got a credit transfer for OU and it's not what I expected. I got 60 credits towards BSc in computing and IT, or 120 towards an open degree. The 60 credits mean I'll have to earn another 60 and push my expected 4 years part time to 5, +extra cost! I'm not sure which to do? I've read a couple of places that the name on the degree isn't as important as what you've studied in it. As I'm looking for the software route I could choose modules related to it in the open degree and end up doing it quicker and cheaper. I have a city and guilds lv 6 software course and java associate to my name.
    Has anyone any experience with the open degree? is it recognised the same as a named one when looking for a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac 79

Anybody?

I don't know but it would probably be easier to market or point to a named degree rather than to explain what an open degree is.

I have no experience in this though.

At what point do you have to decide? (do you need the extra 60 credits at the start or end?)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac 79

I don't know but it would probably be easier to market or point to a named degree rather than to explain what an open degree is.

It's even hard enough to phrase it - BSc open!! Doesn't have the same ring. The extra credits are at the start. They'll both take similar time frames too. The open degree IT modules start at the of the computings first 60 credits. I have to decide by the 8 Jan.

Advertisement