Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first bit of furniture.

Options
  • 17-12-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

So My better half asked me to come up with a new shoe rack for the hallway. Armed with sketch-up, Kreg jig, some ply and not a lot of time I came up with the attached. The paint needs a bit of touching up and the lid of the storage box isn't straight but I'm chuffed with this as a first effort. Just thought I'd share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

And so you should be looks well just one thing next time your fitting hinges do them the same way the internal doors in the house are done that way you only see the edge not the whole hinge but other than that well done looks really good
    peter

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

And so you should be looks well just one thing next time your fitting hinges do them the same way the internal doors in the house are done that way you only see the edge not the whole hinge but other than that well done looks really good
    peter

Thanks peter the next project is going to be a coat and hat rack in the same colour scheme, the hooks I'll be using are brass so I wanted to have something visible to match. That and hinges scare the bejaysus out of me. For my sins theres now talk of an exposed ply edged kitchen. It'll take me years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Well done. The Kreg system is a life saver for light construction anyway.
    I might have set the top shelf back a little for easier access to the bottom and all those sharp edges could be rounded over.One easy way of adding an edge to sheet goods is to simply glue on a hardwood strip using polyurethane glue. For the kitchen however exposed Baltic ply seems to be in fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

recipio wrote: »
    Well done. The Kreg system is a life saver for light construction anyway.
    I might have set the top shelf back a little for easier access to the bottom and all those sharp edges could be rounded over.One easy way of adding an edge to sheet goods is to simply glue on a hardwood strip using polyurethane glue. For the kitchen however exposed Baltic ply seems to be in fashion.

Is Baltic ply the same as birch ply recipio or something different altogether. To be honest I never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yes, its a quality multilply which goes as Baltic or Birch although it can be made in Russia or the Baltic states.The face should be a birch veneer. Apparently the best stuff comes from Norway. I see a multiply board in the shops with thick 4mm layers which is not as attractive as true multiply plywood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement