Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xperia Z3 users

Options
  • 17-12-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a Z3 in white today. Preferred it over the black and I got the impression it's less of a fingerprint magnet. I have a few question that I am hoping some owners can answer.

1. What's the best tempered glass shield for the Z3 ? Thinking of getting the Zaag as it seems the easiest to get right first time over the tabs.

2. Should I get a shield for the back also as it's also glass.

3. What's the best case that offers good protection and keeps the slim profile. Would be great if I could use it for wireless charging without taking it off also.

4. Are the included earbuds any good. The ones I got are standard ones and not the noise cancelling ones that were coming with the Z2 some time ago.

5. Is the Sony wireless dock worth getting
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DK48-Magnetic-Charging-Compact-Black/dp/B00N9OBP7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418771259&sr=8-1&keywords=Xperia+Z3+dock

5. Any update on when Android L is coming out for it ?

6 Does remote play with PS4 work well and where is cheapest place to pick up the DS4 gamepad holder thingy :)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

Flaccus wrote: »
    Just picked up a Z3 in white today. Preferred it over the black and I got the impression it's less of a fingerprint magnet. I have a few question that I am hoping some owners can answer.

1. What's the best tempered glass shield for the Z3 ? Thinking of getting the Zaag as it seems the easiest to get right first time over the tabs.

2. Should I get a shield for the back also as it's also glass.

3. What's the best case that offers good protection and keeps the slim profile. Would be great if I could use it for wireless charging without taking it off also.

4. Are the included earbuds any good. The ones I got are standard ones and not the noise cancelling ones that were coming with the Z2 some time ago.

5. Is the Sony wireless dock worth getting
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DK48-Magnetic-Charging-Compact-Black/dp/B00N9OBP7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418771259&sr=8-1&keywords=Xperia+Z3+dock

5. Any update on when Android L is coming out for it ?

6 Does remote play with PS4 work well and where is cheapest place to pick up the DS4 gamepad holder thingy :)

thanks

1. Ultimate Shield Premium Tempered Glass

2. No need for this imo if you're getting a case

3. Don't know. I have a bookcase cover from Roxfit which isn't the slimmest in the world but I don't care!!

4. Never used them. I have my own Denon earphones.

5. Supposedly first quarter of 2015.

6. Absolutely no idea whatsoever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

stoksyXL wrote: »

No. I've not come across this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

G1032 wrote: »
    1. Ultimate Shield Premium Tempered Glass

2. No need for this imo if you're getting a case

3. Don't know. I have a bookcase cover from Roxfit which isn't the slimmest in the world but I don't care!!

4. Never used them. I have my own Denon earphones.

5. Supposedly first quarter of 2015.

6. Absolutely no idea whatsoever!!

Thanks a million. I had the ultimate shield before and its great allright but as they couldn't guarantee delivery before Xmas I went with the Stillgut which is supposed to be very good and doesn't come right up the edge so hopefully cases will work.

Also, I picked up the roxfit case as well. Only one the shops had an Sony are officially pushing it too. Seems decent enough. But does cause the stock screen protector that came with the phone to bubble up in the bottom left corner (but it could also be the way I alliged it), so hopefully the stillgut wont have this issue.

Also, was worried for a minute when fitting the roxfit, as that clear plastic inserts seems pretty hard and thought it might scratch the metal on the side of the phone. Then realised I don't have a note 4 any more which has a very poor quality finish in terms or durability. Even tpu cases scratch it !!

Knowing my luck I probably do but have not checked yet as only have the Z3 a couple of days. Will check the weekend.

Also, the headphone volume output is very low (lower even than galaxy note 4 and that was terrible) and after looking at the reviews on headfi they highly rate the z3/z3c over it having a dedicated dac rather than relying on the qualcom chipset. So in terms of quality it's as good if not better than the m8 but only have the volume output which was a design safety decision Sony took.

Anyway, I installed equalizer and it helped so might go with a set of low impedence cans like the senn urbanites. Meanwhile has anyone tried quality bluetooth earbuds on the z3, like the jaybird bluebuds x, which would bypass the low volume problem. The last option is to root the phone and modify some of the android config files to raise the volume. Is rooting easy on this yoke ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Flaccus wrote: »
    Knowing my luck I probably do but have not checked yet as only have the Z3 a couple of days. Will check the weekend.

Also, the headphone volume output is very low (lower even than galaxy note 4 and that was terrible) and after looking at the reviews on headfi they highly rate the z3/z3c over it having a dedicated dac rather than relying on the qualcom chipset. So in terms of quality it's as good if not better than the m8 but only have the volume output which was a design safety decision Sony took.

Anyway, I installed equalizer and it helped so might go with a set of low impedence cans like the senn urbanites. Meanwhile has anyone tried quality bluetooth earbuds on the z3, like the jaybird bluebuds x, which would bypass the low volume problem. The last option is to root the phone and modify some of the android config files to raise the volume. Is rooting easy on this yoke ?

I'm pissed off over the lower volume on my z3 compact too.
    I switched over from an iPhone and can really notice the difference.

You can root it and raise the volume that way, but I'm not going down that route.
    My workaround is to use a set of apple earphones to listen to music. They seem to be louder than any other headphones I've tried.

I'm pissed off over the lower volume on my z3 compact too.
    I switched over from an iPhone and can really notice the difference.

You can root it and raise the volume that way, but I'm not going down that route.
    My workaround is to use a set of apple earphones to listen to music. They seem to be louder than any other headphones I've tried.

Yeah, the earpods are 109db with a 23ohm impedence.

Thinkin about the onear senn urbanites. They are only 18ohm and 118db so should also be reasonably loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Dredging this up, but does anyone know of a way to increase vibration intensity for calls?

Advertisement