Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Peaks or 2 Peak Training

Options
  • 16-12-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all.

Had a decent season and want to build on the successes. I'm planning on doing the nat series again in 2015 and im 70.3 Dublin.

My initial thoughts are to do 2 sprints in May/early June, an Oly in July and then Dublin 70.3. Then I'm hoping to maybe give the Lost Sheep a go, if there's any juice left in the tank.
    My approach to this last season would've been to train hard and race hard. Meaning I'd train specifically for the sprints, then shift the training focus as the discipline also changed. Periodization etc, wouldn't really have featured.

I'm thinking of using either Training Peaks, with a personal coach or, purchase a race plan. Or, 2 Peak Training, as I use a Suunto Ambit sports watch. This program is paired directly to Suunto. 2 Peak Training states that it'll design your training based on hr and power stats. It also claims to be able to tailor the program to enable you to have a few peaks in a single season.

Has anyone used either of these apps?
    Has anyone purchased any of the listed training programs for 70.3 off the Training Peaks web site and used them to success?

Any feedback on this topic is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

scuba05 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Had a decent season and want to build on the successes. I'm planning on doing the nat series again in 2015 and im 70.3 Dublin.

My initial thoughts are to do 2 sprints in May/early June, an Oly in July and then Dublin 70.3. Then I'm hoping to maybe give the Lost Sheep a go, if there's any juice left in the tank.
    My approach to this last season would've been to train hard and race hard. Meaning I'd train specifically for the sprints, then shift the training focus as the discipline also changed. Periodization etc, wouldn't really have featured.

I'm thinking of using either Training Peaks, with a personal coach or, purchase a race plan. Or, 2 Peak Training, as I use a Suunto Ambit sports watch. This program is paired directly to Suunto. 2 Peak Training states that it'll design your training based on hr and power stats. It also claims to be able to tailor the program to enable you to have a few peaks in a single season.

Has anyone used either of these apps?
    Has anyone purchased any of the listed training programs for 70.3 off the Training Peaks web site and used them to success?

Any feedback on this topic is appreciated.

I would avoid the training peaks route like the plague. You will basically be paying a fortune for a book delivered in a different format. It won't be a programme for you, just a money making scheme. Curious as to which price point you were going to go in at for the coach on TP?

The other option.. Do you have a power meter?

Being blunt - both suggestions are sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

If your not going down the coached route then give Triathletes Training Bible a read over xmas, you might be able to put your own plan together but you need to decide which is your priority, 70.3 or NS.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

Hi Tunney.

Fair enough. You've obviously had experience of either or both at some point or other. No harm in being blunt. However, can you tell me the basis for that assumption.

Also, I'm aware of the power meter assumption. However, it'll only give feedback as regards bike fitness. I'm looking for something that'll provide a good periodization model over all 3 disciplines.

How do you create your training programs. Broadly speaking, it'll involve 3 of each discipline in various intensities. Do you follow a 3 week model with the fourth week for recovery? Just interested in how other triathletes are approaching their training regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi Tunney.

Fair enough. You've obviously had experience of either or both at some point or other. No harm in being blunt. However, can you tell me the basis for that assumption.

I have used training peaks for 7 years. Albeit in a different way to what you are suggesting. However I am aware of the coaching programmes distributed on it and WHY trainingpeaks is attractive to coaches - namely it allows generic sessions and plans to appear "tailored" by changing pace,power,hr based on athlete set ups. In fact their real target market is the coaches not the end users.
    Also, I'm aware of the power meter assumption. However, it'll only give feedback as regards bike fitness. I'm looking for something that'll provide a good periodization model over all 3 disciplines.

The plans - both ambit and TP that you are talking about are more driven by power and pace and hr. Without power and without a bespoke plan you getting a more general version of an already generic plan.
    How do you create your training programs. Broadly speaking, it'll involve 3 of each discipline in various intensities. Do you follow a 3 week model with the fourth week for recovery? Just interested in how other triathletes are approaching their training regimes.

My own? In years gone by.

Swim - three swims is the minimum. Min 2.2km
    Bike - ideally more than three but thats unrealistic for most. Long bike, intense bike, other bike
    Run - between 6 and 9 runs a week. Most easy. One long, one speed (or hill reps) and one tempo.

3 on 1 off model most of the time except when doing 2 on 1 off if load huge. Better to absorb two good weeks, than have three junk.

3 swims, 3 bikes are fine
    3 runs is nowhere near enough.

Joe Friel may be a total kn0b jockey but as a starting power the Training Bible is a good one.

Advertisement