Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Market

Options
  • 16-12-2014 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Hi

Will the English Market be open the Sunday before Christmas? Does anyone know??

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Went past there today and there's a big banner up saying it's open this Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Hi

Will the English Market be open the Sunday before Christmas? Does anyone know??

TIA :)

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What about Christmas eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »

Open to 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Brilliant! Thanks guys!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

evilivor wrote: »
    Open to 6pm.

That's the time to get your turkey! Always buy my (fresh, obvs) turkey on Christmas Eve in either The Market, M&S or Tesco in town. Got a €60 turkey for €25 from Bresnans at about 4 o'clock last year, €20 for a €50 turkey in M&S the year before. Tesco used always have loads of leftover turkeys going for a song on CE but they seem to manage it a bit better now - the bastards!

Saves on storage hassle - turkeys take up a lot of real estate in the fridge - and has become a great Christmas tradition for The Bays. I don't even put it in the fridge when I get home, just plonk it on the worktop until the morning. I probably will get caught without a turkey some year (I AM slowing down a bit now - can't cover the ground I used to) but, hey, the ham will keep us going on the day anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It will depend on individual stalls, some may close early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

roundymac wrote: »
    It will depend on individual stalls, some may close early.

Yeah, you definitely don't want to be planning to buy/collect anything after 5 o'clock. It starts winding down at about 3 and by 4 a lot of the stalls will be closed/closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yes it is open on Sunday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

Isn't it funny the way Cork people call themselves "The Rebels" and "The Rebel County" etc etc. when their most famous attraction is the ENGLISH Market?

Anybody?

Come on it's pretty funny. From now on let's refer to it as the "elephant in the city".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

nomeban wrote: »
    Isn't it funny the way Cork people call themselves "The Rebels" and "The Rebel County" etc etc. when their most famous attraction is the ENGLISH Market?

Anybody?

Come on it's pretty funny. From now on let's refer to it as the "elephant in the city".

Erhh - it's a name :rolleyes:

Thought we had got over the naive nationalist pride phase - no ?

Anyway Dublin has the half penny bridge - doesn't mean they're all skinflints ...

And our most famous and welcome visitor was HRH The Queen. Best bit of advertising the tourist board could hope for.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Anybody?

I suppose the people of Munich are less German because the main park in the city is called the English Gardens?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englischer_Garten

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rabbo wrote: »
    I suppose the people of Munich are less German because the main park in the city is called the English Gardens?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englischer_Garten

And don't get me started on all those pro Nippon places with their Japanese gardens!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

The "rebel" name came from the side Cork took in a fight over who get the English crown in 1495 - not 1919-22.

But I do find the adulation the queen got (and still gets in the fishmonger's stall) when she visited a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Anybody?

Isn't it funny the way nomeban is having a cut off Cork because of an English connection whilst speaking the ENGLISH language?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

roundymac wrote: »
    And our most famous and welcome visitor was HRH The Queen. Best bit of advertising the tourist board could hope for.:P

As Ardal O Hanlon said we really licked her arse.Thought all the fawning over her was a bit embarrassing tbh.

I did'nt. We showed her respect as a visitor to our country. Respect and good manners are something that are sadly lacking in this country.

How the hell did this go from a simple question about the English Market opening hours to this?

As Ardal O Hanlon said we really licked her arse.Thought all the fawning over her was a bit embarrassing tbh.

BTW. Didn't President and Mrs Higgins make a State Visit to the UK recently? And wasn't President Obama and his family here just before HM? If I recall they were received with all the due deference appropriate to a Head of State. Would you call that arse licking too? Or is that only for the Queen?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

BTW. Didn't President and Mrs Higgins make a State Visit to the UK recently? And wasn't President Obama and his family here just before HM? If I recall they were received with all the due deference appropriate to a Head of State. Would you call that arse licking too? Or is that only for the Queen?

Whos that?Hitlers Mother?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

okedoke wrote: »
    The "rebel" name came from the side Cork took in a fight over who get the English crown in 1495 - not 1919-22.

But I do find the adulation the queen got (and still gets in the fishmonger's stall) when she visited a bit weird.

That laughing guys getting fierce mileage out of it.Spose hes making a few extra bob,can't blame him.

Hi mods. Would it be possible to close this thread please? I got an answer to my question and it's getting a bit silly now.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hi mods. Would it be possible to close this thread please? I got an answer to my question and it's getting a bit silly now.

Thanks!

Yep I quite agree, its drifted way off topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement