Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with subject choice :/

Options
  • 16-12-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, I'm doing my Junior Cert this year. I am being pressured into picking my subjects for senior cycle. My mom wants me to do LCVP which I am fine with doing. I am really stuck for combinations. I want to DCG as it looks so good and sounds so good. I am also doing TG at the moment and I love it. I am thinking of doing French, Biology, DCG and Physics. I want to do Biology because it really interests me and I find it easy but Physics uhhh! I want to know is physics easy or what. I need physics to do LCVP you see. Thank you so much for you advice <3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

Choose what subjects you want to do first, then see if that combination fits the LCVP requirements. If it doesn't, it doesn't, and if it does, happy days. You definitely should not be choosing your subjects based on wanting to do LCVP though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't sign up for LC Biology based on what you do in JC Science. It's very different. Likewise Physics. The only thing I can say for sure is make sure you do DCG if you enjoy TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Completely agree with Spurious there - JC Physics is worlds apart from LC Physics. LC Physics definitely isn't easy, but I wouldn't say it's 'hard' either. It depends what kind of person you are. It's very mathsy but if you're clicked into the theory the maths is relatively easy tbh. Here's a good site that'll give you a bit of an overview to Physics:
    http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/leaving_cert_subjects.php?course_id=26&ed_sub_cat_id=7&course_name=Physics

Biology is quite easy if you're able to learn things off easily enough. I'm a big believer in 'if you can understand something, you don't need to rote learn', however the LC Biology course honestly doesn't really allow for this. There's very little understanding and lots of learning. It's quite enjoyable however, and I've never considered it a subject to worry about or panic over!

Definitely go for DCG if you love TG!

I wouldn't pick Physics just cause of LCVP. I mean it's really not worth 70 points, if you're sacrificing another subject at HL. Are there any other subjects you'd like to do besides Physics? They might link up for LCVP!

Edit: Here's the links (according to examinations.ie):
    1. Construction Studies or Engineering or Technical Drawing, Design& Communication Graphics,Technology (any two)
    2. Physics and Construction Studies or Engineering or Technology or Design & Communication Graphics
    3. Agricultural Science and Construction Studies or Engineering or Technology or Design & Communication Graphics
    4. Agricultural Science and Chemistry or Physics or Physics & Chemistry (combined subject)
    5. Home Economics and Agricultural Science or Biology (any two)
    6. Home Economics and Art
    7. Accounting or Business or Economics (any two)
    8. Physics and Chemistry
    9. Biology and Chemistry or Physics or Physics & Chemistry (combined subject)
    10. Biology and Agricultural Science
    11. Art & Design & Communication Graphics
    12. Engineering or Technology or Design & Communication Graphics or Construction Studies and Business or Accounting or Economics
    13. Construction Studies and Business or Accounting or Economics
    14. Home Economics and Business or Accounting or Economics
    15. Agricultural Science and Business or Accounting or Economics
    16. Art and Business or Accounting or Economics
    17. Music and Business or Accounting or Economics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Yes, If you have a liking for TG then keep it up for the Leaving. It's a subject that if you want to learn about it, and understand the topics, you will get on well at it, and be able for any question that will be thrown at you in an exam. Solidworks project is worth a big part (40%), so that is a help in relieving pressure. Most students tend to enjoy the project, as it gets them away from the traditional paper and theory based subjects.

Advertisement