Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus? ??

Options
  • 16-12-2014 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Just logged in here on my phone and went to click on a thread when a warning came up on my phone saying "Threat detected"
    A scan began and it said it found a "Tap snake" virus and then wanted me to download something to protect my device.
    Complete technophobe here but didn't down load it.
    Has this happened to any other phone users here?
    Should I have or was the download the virus? ??:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Smidge wrote: »
    Just logged in here on my phone and went to click on a thread when a warning came up on my phone saying "Threat detected"
    A scan began and it said it found a "Tap snake" virus and then wanted me to download something to protect my device.
    Complete technophobe here but didn't down load it.
    Should I have or was the download the virus? ??:(

Scam, avoid.

You can get a free AVG app for your phone, download it, use it, see if there is some virus or malware on your phone. Think CM Cleaner does the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Open a thread on Feedback. Someone (well, two people) reported the same kinda stuff but I can't find the thread. Try give as much info as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tap+snake+virus

instructions on how to remove it are on the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I didn't click on the download when it asked me to so will that mean it hasn't accessed my phone?
    Damn my complete tech ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Android or Apple? Might wanna give the forums here a go.

But IIRC, I constantly get adverts from certain sites about "download this, you have a virus" etc etc.

My phone is fine. If I don't browse the sites I know for a fact do spawn those adverts, I never get them. So long as you didn't download it, you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tap+snake+virus

instructions on how to remove it are on the link

Just had a read of that and luckily I am such a deeply suspicious and sceptical person that it compensates for my lack of knowledge of all things technical:D

In other words I didn't get as far as download before asking questions:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Download fcuk-all. Get "Lookout" for Android and use it well, Grasshopper.

Advertisement