Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I apply for rent or fuel allowance?

Options
  • 16-12-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Have just started on the CE scheme and am moving out of home after the christmas into an apartment. Im geting 208euro a week on the scheme will I be entitled to any rent allowance or even fuel allowance while Im on this scheme?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You may have to wait a while for both - Fuel allowance you need to be claiming from the DSP for 15 months. To get Rent allowance you need to be in rented accommodation already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

greendom wrote: »
    You may have to wait a while for both - Fuel allowance you need to be claiming from the DSP for 15 months. To get Rent allowance you need to be in rented accommodation already.

And on the L.A. housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You'll get fuel allowance once you have been a long term jobseekers allowance claimant. Your time on the CE scheme would count towards this.

On the rent allowance, you have two options:
    1. Get on the local authority housing list, or;
    2. Demonstrate that you have been renting your place privately for six months and now as of a change in circumstances you can no longer afford it, but you could afford it when you started and you always expected to be able to continue to afford it, i.e you haven't voluntarily put yourself in a forseeably difficult situation.

The rent allowance system is basically set up for those in dire need of housing who can't afford it from their own means. It is not set up to support the financing of a person moving out of home for the first time.

I would suggest that now you are working that you get a room in a place? Maybe that would meet your housing needs? When things get better and you can afford more you can start looking at what you would like (maybe an apartment?), but for now, meet the housing need. A room is likely to do you, depending on your circumstances.

Advertisement