Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim FIS

Options
  • 15-12-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Does anybody know if I can claim FIS,I work in Northern Ireland but live in the republic,my wife is being laid off next week and I'm not sure if I can apply for this.I'm pretty sure I don't earn to over the limit.BTW she works in the republic and we both live there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

It takes your previous year's earning into account, so maybe both your wife and your wage might exceed the limit?
    Silly question but have to ask, you do have children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

tenreds wrote: »
    Does anybody know if I can claim FIS,I work in Northern Ireland but live in the republic,my wife is being laid off next week and I'm not sure if I can apply for this.I'm pretty sure I don't earn to over the limit.BTW she works in the republic and we both live there.

Mmmm. I'm not certain, my initial thought was no as you pay your taxes in the UK, but you are resident in the ROI and there is a tax treaty between UK and Ireland. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

PLL wrote: »
    It takes your previous year's earning into account, so maybe both your wife and your wage might exceed the limit?

If his wife is made redundant her previous income will not be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

PLL wrote: »

I was only started work in September and I was on benefits for maybe a year and a half,wife only works 20 hours a week so earnings over the past year wouldn't be great,have 2 children and mortgage,just not sure with me paying my tax in the north,thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I would imagine you need to explore similar UK options such as child tax credits and working tax credits, and if that is less than FIS, you can claim the difference from DSP.
    http://borderpeople.info/faqs/social-welfare.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement