Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming off J's voluntarily

Options
  • 15-12-2014 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

I've been on Jobseekers a few months after finishing a temp contract. I'm finding it hard to find anything suitable that will cover the costs of childcare. Intreo are starting to really put me under pressure & after a recent interview where the interviewer basically treated me like bold child I have decided to come off Jobseekers myself. I don't know how we will manage but I can't stand anymore of these interviews trying to push me into any old crap course/internship. I have worked all my life and have great experience although never got the qualifications employers are looking for these days. Am I entitled to anything if I choose to stay home with my kids? I will look into FIS as my husband works. I have given over my tax credits to him. Is there anything else I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would not advise this, I know those meetings are hilariously misguided, but once you come off JSA, you are not able to do any courses / cant get help paying fr courses like a manual handling / food safety etc that you may need for certain jobs.

If you do sign off, apply for FIS, even if you think you are over the limit.

The fact that you are entitles to some form of payment on JSA means your house hold income may be low enough for FIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I would not advise this, I know those meetings are hilariously misguided, but once you come off JSA, you are not able to do any courses / cant get help paying fr courses like a manual handling / food safety etc that you may need for certain jobs.

If you do sign off, apply for FIS, even if you think you are over the limit.

The fact that you are entitles to some form of payment on JSA means your house hold income may be low enough for FIS.

Thanks will look into FIS but think we may be just over the threshhold. I found the interview extremely stressful & patronising to be honest. My confidence is on the floor as is with being out of work the last few months but this made it a million times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My friend was the same, he has an apprentship lines up, he was just waiting to be called and he was roasted. The wanted him to sign up to any course in fas while he was waiting.

He was made apply for other jobs and register for some UK recruitment thing.

You have to remember that it is these guys job to get you the position you want, make them work for their money, get then to research courses you would do, if they try streer you in the wrong direction, question their comprehension of your situation.

I know this is very hard to do when you are at your lowest. But in another way the person has won of they get you to just sign off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Thanks for the replys, also do you think there will be any questions if I just sign off without having gotten a job? What reason should I give?

Advertisement