Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new job offer advice NEEDED quickly

Options
  • 15-12-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just need some work advice.

I currently work for a call center where I manage debt collection department. My salary at moment is €24900 and I get a quartely of €500 so let's say 27k. I work 9-17:30 for 2 weeks and a shift of 11-19;30 other weeks. The work isn't difficult we have been a successful team and do about 180k a year in collections and no real pressure.

Now...... I've been offered a new manager position in a different collections department within the conpany.This sounded great I would be responsible for over 1.4million annual collections so quite a bit of pressure and hours of 9-17.30 but here's what my issue is. There offering the same salary plus an extra €500 a month if I hit the top monthly target , if we gey anything less I'd get about 200-400 bonus so about 100 a week extra and after tax about €85 let's say.So an extra 85 euro a week plus massive pressure and I lose my original quarter bonus. So it just feels like getting an extra 8 months bonus and after tax less than 3k I'd imagine and that's if I do well

I'm also in college studying and taking this new role would distract me from my studies which I invested over €2000 for my first year alone.

The current position of the team is very strong there have hit record targets 3 months In a row but I believe this is thanks to the current manager. If I take the role and struggle for the same level of performance my job could be on the line if not my record is tarnished.

I personally feel there Trying go get me to take the job on the cheap.

What are people opinions, all comments welcome. Do you think i should ask for a raise plus the bonus or what? Do you have any other suggestions or advice

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Given that you successfully juggle your studies and your current role at the moment I would stay put if I were you. Presumably your studies are your main priority in terms of setting yourself up for the future and to potentially jeopardise them for an extra €85 per week seems a little foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I work in collections (im not a manager though) and the pressure is huge, I wouldn't take a managers position for anything, I see the pressure she is under and its crazy, in saying that our monthly collection (well target) is circa 40million but it still comes down to the same basics, a target is a target! if you go in and for the first few months don't make the target yet the previous manager got it 3 months running, questions will be asked - I know it will be good for your CV but is all the extra pressure/stress worth it for the sake of roughly €85? If college is your main focus right now, id stay put for the moment and maybe down the line look to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

You seem to know that a move now would not suit you, I would agree with above, take your time get your studies over.

Initially it takes time to settle in a new position, wait until your finish studying then justify a raise with your new qualification that's what I did a few years ago. You can justify study taking up a lot of your spare time,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

If you feel your studies will benefit you in the long-term, then don't accept the job.

BUT, I would go to HR/Senior Manager and explain your reasons carefully. Make sure they know that you'll be looking to use your new skills/knowledge as you develop them.

Is the company paying for your course in any way? Is the course likely to be of benefit to the company?

If they won't pay anything, try to get a few days study leave from them.

At your next review, ask if you can both draw up a plan to allow you to use your new qualification for the benefit of the company - you'll need to have some ideas yourself obviously.

BOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Most companys do not give significant raises for internal positions. Take the Job, Look for a good raise at your next pay review and keep your CV/Linked in profile up to date.

Not taking a job in a higher position is silly. Its EXTREMLY difficult to get managerial positions outside your company if you dont have managerial experience already. Also, if you dont take the position you are shooting yourself for any addiional similar internal roles as, best case, you are back at square one for any future interviews, worst case you're discounted entirly.

Its a short term setback in pay with many many long term benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I'd normally agree with Wabbit Ears, but in this case it's not worth the extra stress. I'd be tempted if I were you due to ambitions, but I'd expect a higher salary first.

My other observation is that your current salary to collections is quite high. If your team's target is only €180k per annum and your salary plus ER Prsi is approx €30k PA each it's not a great return, assuming there was a cost to acquire the debt even at an average of 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Hi all,

Thank you for the responses. The senior manager has come back to me and advised if I achieve the €120,000 p/month he will now up the top bonus to €700 from the €500 and he is currently reviewing the Salary with the HR department. I have been very honest with the manager. The current Salary of €25k is the same as a customer service manager(which is a very easy job with no stress at all(I KNOW BECAUSE I DID THIS FOR 6 MONTHS BEFORE MOVING TO COLLECTIONS) so I personally believe to be offered the same salary as a CS manager is quite unfair considering the pressure and work involved. I have explained about my pressure with college and studies and how my current role suits me and in order for me to take the new position A bonus isn’t enough of an incentive.

The problem the senior manager is if i don’t accept the job he must look outside of the company and hire someone with no product/system knowledge and it 'may' be difficult to get someone to take the role with the 25k a year.

On the opposite side, He doesn’t want to give the role to someone with product/system knowledge but no managerial experience.

He told me He is in a tough situation if i don’t accept. I was thankful for his honesty.

wally1990 wrote: »
    I was thankful for his honesty.

SUCKER!!! ;) well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

so, bascially went down exactly as I figured it would. Take the job, at this stage its career suicide not to.

so, bascially went down exactly as I figured it would. Take the job, at this stage its career suicide not to.

Take the job at what salary, as previously outlined?

It's not career suicide to not take the job. I would suggest good debt collection abilities would be highly in demand for another couple of years (although, I suspect the market for such skills will tail off eventually (hopefully!)) but you should be fairly mobile for now.

On one hand I'd like the challenge of the new responsibilities, but I'd not like to be in a job where I get promoted and the major benefit if I didn't advance was the threat of career suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Tbh and leaving all pay aside, it could well turn out to be career suicide if the OP takes the job and has too much on their plate and, as a consequence, doesn't perform to the best of their ability... It's perfectly reasonable to say that there's already too much on without adding more responsibility, but they very much appreciate the offer and being seriously considered for the role, and had the timing been different etc. etc.

Advertisement