Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11850 over charging (2 mins. 12 secs. 11.12 €)

Options
  • 15-12-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭
    EMar Sounds

I'm sick of these rippoff <SNIP> how do they get away with it for like.. ever.

As far as I know 11850 is an eircom service and i have been away from those
    rippoff <SNIP> since the 90's after they hit me with an 800 € bill for one month.
    I should have just argued it in court but i stupidly paid them.

I'd never recommend eircom to anyone and advise anyone else to avoid them.

I rang 11850 the other day for 2 mins and got charged 11.22 €

I wish they would just die and let a decent service take over.
    Now I have to ring upc and argue with the staff that it's a rippoff service.

I will probably stop using upc if they continue to work with eircom services.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

11850 isn't run by Eircom.

UPC don't set the prices.

UPC cannot stop a specific directory enquires service from operating either.

Do some research before going off on half-cocked campaigns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's 2.79euro to make the call plus 2.79 for every minute and part there of. Making a grand total of 11.16euro

11850 are the most expensive, do a bit of research and you will find several cheaper options from the 118 range, down as low as 1.38euro from 11888.

Hardly their fault, you say you knew they were expensive years ago but you still used them

Also 11850 is an independent company who have nothing to do with Eircom AFAIK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i thought google rightly obliterated all of these companies, i'm suprised their model still even exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Why are they getting away with this? it's disgraceful and unfair and really bad business sense.
    Is this country so far backwards that we cannot stop people over charging their customers?

2 mins on the phone is not worth 2 euro, but they get away with charging me over 11 euro for 2 min.

Who are they? who is behind this if it's not eircom?
    Please don;t tell me they are an english company or i'll put somethign through my living room window.

What can I do about it? if i rang upc they'd say they are not responsible for these charges,
    But they are happy to use the service that over charges upc customers, and the rest of Ireland/

Wake up Ireland time to wake the f**k up, it makes me really angry,
    Thank god I'm not in front of anyone right now, someone would be missing teeth.
    If i leave upc I won't be the only one that walks that's a guarantee, I like upc.
    They need to remove bad services like this, so it can't give their business a bad name.

If you had a 3rd party company offering a service through your business and they were over
    charging people, would it be bad for your business, I think it would be, my god I need to calm down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds wrote: »

What can I do about it? if i rang upc they'd say they are not responsible for these charges,
    But they are happy to use the service that over charges upc customers, and the rest of Ireland/

UPC couldn't give a toss what if any directory enquiry firm you use and they cannot prevent any of them selling services to UPC customers either. If you leave them over this, you're an idiot as it has nothing whatsoever to do with them; and whatever provider you change to is still going to let you call 11850.

They're getting away with it as people are paying for it. All charges are published and generally there is zero reason to actual use them in the first place.

11811 is still free off payphones btw, if you can find one.

• Advertisement
    EMar Sounds

L1 if your company uses a 3rd to offer a service to your customers, and they are over charging your clients through your service.

It is your fault not your customer's fault for using the 3rd party, it's not a good business choice for your company.
    Customers should not have to worry about being over charged by any company in Ireland but they are being ripped off every day, for years! I just was.

UPC already know this service is known for wayyyyyy over charging customers who ring the number,
    This company (11850) are getting away with ripping off Irish people for too many years now IMO something has to be done, put them out of service.

Sorry I don't mean to be hasty just really sickens me how people get ripped off here al the time and nobody dose anything about it.

Everyone says how expensive that 11850 number is and people often say you should never use it, there is cheaper.

But I shouldn't have to worry about it in the first place, they ripped me off and god knows how many thousands of people they rip off every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

You weren't overcharged, you were charged their applicable rates. You made the choice to use the service. It's your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Sorry but how is it over-charging?
    Their charges are published and the cost of the call can probably be calculated before you even make the call.
    Expensive, sure, but nobody over-charged you.

As others have said, just use a search engine the next time you need a number.

EMar Sounds

Pick up the phone, and ring 11850 and wait for your bill, how is that a fair charge?
    That call should be no more than 2 euro, and that's too much.
    11 euro for a 2 minute call, it's obvious.. can you not agree? I don't get some people's mind set.

Pick up the phone, and ring 11850 and wait for your bill, how is that a fair charge?
    That call should be no more than 2 euro, and that's too much.
    11 euro for a 2 minute call, it's obvious.. can you not agree? I don't get some people's mind set.

STOP using them or USE someone else, how is this difficult. You know they charge alot for landline calls, so don't get annoyed when they charge what they advertise.

It has zero to do with UPC or Eircom or Vodafone, it is a private company.

118 88 are cheaper by a long shot from a landline (same company oddly enough, thanks for the info google), there are I think 6 or 7 different 118 numbers to ring, why not just use a different one or use google.

• Advertisement

L1 if your company uses a 3rd to offer a service to your customers, and they are over charging your clients through your service.

It is your fault not your customer's fault for using the 3rd party, it's not a good business choice for your company.
    Customers should not have to worry about being over charged by any company in Ireland but they are being ripped off every day, for years! I just was.

UPC already know this service is known for wayyyyyy over charging customers who ring the number,
    This company (11850) are getting away with ripping off Irish people for too many years now IMO something has to be done, put them out of service.

Sorry I don't mean to be hasty just really sickens me how people get ripped off here al the time and nobody dose anything about it.

Everyone says how expensive that 11850 number is and people often say you should never use it, there is cheaper.

But I shouldn't have to worry about it in the first place, they ripped me off and god knows how many thousands of people they rip off every day.

Do you blame your bank if you pay for something expensive on a debit card?

11850s rates are available before calling them - you called them. It has absolutely nothing to do with UPC and UPC will rather bluntly tell you that if you waste your time complaining to them.

You made the call, your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone who cant find a phone number and make a call without using a directory service deserves to pay a huge premium. OP try googling Google and see how your life changes.:rolleyes:

EMar Sounds

OK guys it was my own fault, it was an emergency so I didn't think about it, just needed a number quick and had no net.
    No one deserves to pay that much for a 2 minute service call, that's all I'm saying.

No one deserves to pay that much for a 2 minute service call, that's all I'm saying.

Your right, it is incredibly expensive, but now you know it can be got cheaper in an emergency, so hopefully it won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If you had a 3rd party company offering a service through your business and they were over
    charging people, would it be bad for your business, I think it would be, my god I need to calm down.

So if you used your UPC phone to call a plummer and that plummer was a rip off, you'd call UPC a disgrace for allowing them to offer a service through their business?

EMar Sounds

It won't happen me again but I had to get that off my chest lol
    I would call the people that provided the phone service yes.

McGaggs wrote: »
    So if you used your UPC phone to call a plummer and that plummer was a rip off, you'd call UPC a disgrace for allowing them to offer a service through their business?
    I would call the people that provided the phone service yes.

Why?

What is stopping you understanding that your phone company has nothing to do with ANY services you buy over it?

I pity the customer service for every company you use...

Advertisement