Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCTS questions

Options
  • 15-12-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭

Just a question about the MCTS exams. I am studying for the 70-480 exam at the moment. I have read one book on it and I am going through as many sample questions as I can find online.
    Are the questions different each time or do they ask the same ones sometimes?I know it's impossible for them to have different questions for every single person who sits the exam but I presume they mix it up a bit. I have seen websites advertising sample exams and they guarantee you will pass if you take them (and learn the answers I presume). You have to pay of course. I don't want to cheat, I want to get the certification but also feel like I know the subject matter pretty well at the end (that's the whole point of taking it after all).
    I am just wondering if it is like sitting an exam in college or school where you actually get all the answers beforehand, you just have to remember as many as possible (and understand the stuff).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Microsoft rotate and change their questions frequently. They also tend to word them in such ways that the inclusion or removal of a specific word can lead to two very different answers. They do this because their old certs were considered a joke in the industry.

The rule of thumb with me, is if I can grab a set of questions and pass them first time, then I know the material enough to pass the real test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

Microsoft rotate and change their questions frequently. They also tend to word them in such ways that the inclusion or removal of a specific word can lead to two very different answers. They do this because their old certs were considered a joke in the industry.

The rule of thumb with me, is if I can grab a set of questions and pass them first time, then I know the material enough to pass the real test.

I bought one of those packages online with sample questions and answers. There are 70 questions in it. I am going through them and memorising the answers as best I can. I know some people say those packages are a bit of a scam but it seems to be the only way of doing a proper exam before the real one. Of course I don't expect the real exam to have the same questions as the one I bought but maybe there will be some that are similar at least.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they are legitimate sample questions, memorising the answers is going to be worthless as they aren't the actual questions; its memorising *why* they're the answers that's important

If they're a dump, memorising them is probably an even worse idea for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

L1011 wrote: »
    If they are legitimate sample questions, memorising the answers is going to be worthless as they aren't the actual questions; its memorising *why* they're the answers that's important

If they're a dump, memorising them is probably an even worse idea for various reasons.

They are not dumps, I was warned off them by someone else. I got very few of the answers correct myself. I thought I had a good handle on what it was all about but I am a bit taken aback by how difficult the questions are. I have started to read another book on the subject as the one I read before that was not detailed enough. It's just the way the questions are designed to trick you that makes it so difficult. A lot of the time any one of them look like they could be the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

lukin wrote: »
    They are not dumps, I was warned off them by someone else. I got very few of the answers correct myself. I thought I had a good handle on what it was all about but I am a bit taken aback by how difficult the questions are. I have started to read another book on the subject as the one I read before that was not detailed enough. It's just the way the questions are designed to trick you that makes it so difficult. A lot of the time any one of them look like they could be the right one.

You get used to it. On average, you're given 4 answers and asked to pick 1. 2 are usually very wrong, leaving you with a 50/50. When you know the material, you spot the wrong ones very quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement