Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When should we get our keys?

Options
  • 15-12-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Basically our solicitor received our mortgage cheque last Tuesday. She's lodged it to her acc and now we are waiting on it to clear. It is an aib cheque into a boi acc. We have been told this Wednesday it should be available to transfer to vendors solicitor (also boi).

The waiting around is driving me a bit bonkers to be honest and the race is on to get our sofas and carpets delivered before everything shuts down for Christmas. Has anyone experience with the same and when can we expect to get our keys?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's not the worst problem! Congratulations on getting your deal to the line.

You should be able to get it over the line on Wednesday, perhaps not until late in the day - so set your mind on Thursday morning. Ask your solicitor to arrange a "same-day" transfer of funds to the vendor's solicitor. The vendor's solicitor should release the keys once the money arrives, which will be no later than close of business on Wednesday, and might be earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I'm in exactly same boat to the day. what I can't believe is that they still do it by cheque in this day and age, I mean surely a wire transfer would be easier and safer and bloody quicker?! anyways, rant over :-) unfortunately I can't tell you how long but I have been told we should close this Wednesday coming. however, absolutely nothing has gone as they said it would so as far as I'm concerned until I have keys I have nothing. as painful as it's going to be for me I'm not ordering anything as much as I want to because if I don't have keys then I'll have no where to store the stuff. would you be able to wait until after Xmas? you would benefit from the sales and you're less likely to spend a fortune on something you don't want just to make sure you get it for Xmas.

if you do need clarity of dates I would suggest to contact your solicitor as they would be best placed to tell you.

sorry I don't have exact info for you, but best of luck in your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Thanks! It is a pain because in the days of wire transfer I can't understand why such a dated practice of cheque clearing still goes on! Apparently it's just aib who do this. So silly! Our solicitor said as soon as it's clear she will transfer over to the vendors solicitor.

It's not the worst complaint at all, we are so happy to have found a house we love in our first choice of area! It's just we have a baby and are surrounded by boxes and bags etc and I just wanna get even a little settled in before Christmas. I'm not the most patient of people either lol we ordered sofas and carpets for a great price but I've already had to put delivery and fitting off a week already. I'm just a bit anxious to get into the house now! I wish you luck in your new house too, fingers crossed we get keys ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Thanks!

I hear you with the impatient bit, I'm exactly like that too! lol if it had of been a smoother journey I would have ordered stuff just like you,.it's a killer being this disorganized :-)

fingers and toes being crossed :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

VandC wrote: »
    Thanks!

I hear you with the impatient bit, I'm exactly like that too! lol if it had of been a smoother journey I would have ordered stuff just like you,.it's a killer being this disorganized :-)

fingers and toes being crossed :-D

It will all fall into place and I'm keeping positive, what ever happens we will (hopefully) be starting the new year in new homes, I'm very thankful for that! It's been a long time coming. I'll definitely be taking advantage of the new year sales too. The way I see it both solicitors and vendors would like to get this wrapped up before Christmas so I'm hoping to get some word today about what's happening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement