Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tabby Cat Knocked down by Douglas Roundie

Options
  • 15-12-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

Hello, not nice to come across but Saturday night we came across a large enough tabby cat after getting knocked down on the pedestrian crossing in Douglas, just before you come to the main roudiebout from Rochestown direction..

Shame shame on whoever hit him and did not stop, id say they would have know they had hit him. But incase someone is missing him.. We took him in off the road and tried to cover him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its not nice to see an animal that has just been knocked down by a car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

No not at all but it wasn't long after happening so it wasn't the worst, just hated to think of him getting hit over and over and then some poor kids seeing it..People can very thoughless even if they had stopped and moved him to the side of the road it would have been better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

Found a knocked down cat in that area at night about a year and a half ago. Took it home but unfortunately it died during the night. It really made me angry because it was in agony on the road and other cars were just driving over it with the wheels just barely missing it.

Couldnt believe the heartlessness of people especially since it was more than likely a familys pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If it was a quiet road with not much traffic, fair enough; but to expect someone to stop on a busy road to pick a cat up and put themselves or others at risk?

They aren't putting anyone at risk!! If you hit anything cat, person whichever you should stop to check if they are ok..

If you had a pet and it was knocked down on the road and you had to come across it after missing it, and then see it smushed on the road I am sure you would be grateful if that person had stopped and made sure that the animal was dead and if so moved it to the side of the road...Even for kids to see stuff like this is not nice.... You can stop the car put the flashers on and off you go no one gets hurt anymore

People are ignorant I think and just don't see it as killing or hurting and animal. They think sure they ran out in front of the car best of luck to them.. arseholes to put it nicely

Well done ktc for taking him home you tried your best sure and at least you didn't leave him there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I would even stop and check on the animal if it does not look "dead enough" (sorry for that expression now).
    I would also recommend to might bring the dead animal to a vet to get it checked for a micro chip, that way the owner can be located too and find some closure :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If it was a quiet road with not much traffic, fair enough; but to expect someone to stop on a busy road to pick a cat up and put themselves or others at risk?

Absolutely right. And I'm fairly annoyed that people let pets roam the roads on their own as well. Dogs ****ting all over the place, frightening the eldery. Cats maiming birds and other wildlife, and then expecting people to get themselves killed on top of it to pick up a dead pet that people have horsed out onto the street to fend for itself.

I know you mean well Milly33, but the blame you are apportioning should be squarely on the people who didn't look after their pet properly, rather than the unfortunate person who ran into it.

Milly33 wrote: »
    They aren't putting anyone at risk!! If you hit anything cat, person whichever you should stop to check if they are ok..

If you hit a person, stopping is pretty much a given.

Hit a cat, fox or small-ish animal on a busy road or a motorway, unless it puts your car out of action...what do you think? I have picked up the odd injured thing off the road but ONLY when it was safe for me to do so. I'm not risking getting lamped myself over someone else's cat that clearly should not have been there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ruaille buaille

Just out of curiosity, what is the actual protocol if you knock down an animal? If its the middle of the day you could bring it to the vet etc. but at night, phone the gaurds or what?

Just out of curiosity, what is the actual protocol if you knock down an animal? If its the middle of the day you could bring it to the vet etc. but at night, phone the gaurds or what?

From memory in the past you were supposed to report to the owner or Gardai if a dog (and only a dog) had been hit. Pretty sure now all dogs are supposed to be under the owner's control, on leads in public places etc, so owner would be on the back foot and most likely be liable for any damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If you had a pet and it was knocked down on the road and you had to come across it after missing it, and then see it smushed on the road I am sure you would be grateful if that person had stopped and made sure that the animal was dead and if so moved it to the side of the road...Even for kids to see stuff like this is not nice.... You can stop the car put the flashers on and off you go no one gets hurt anymore

People are ignorant I think and just don't see it as killing or hurting and animal. They think sure they ran out in front of the car best of luck to them.. arseholes to put it nicely

Well done ktc for taking him home you tried your best sure and at least you didn't leave him there...

The ignorant ones would be those that allowed their animals to roam about where they can easily be killed or cause an accident.

People do realise dont they that you cant keep a cat confined in a house as easily as a dog?

ktc99 wrote: »
    People do realise dont they that you cant keep a cat confined in a house as easily as a dog?

It's the owner's responsibility at the end of the day to do what needs to be done, whether that means building an outside run or securing the house so it doesn't get out or whatever, so you'll have a pet to come home to.

Cats are better at opening doors are they? If you want your cat to not get hit by a car and lie there for a while then you should take some responsibility.

Cats are better at opening doors are they? If you want your cat to not get hit by a car and lie there for a while then you should take some responsibility.

There is obviously no getting through to you is there. Cats can jump out any window in the house if its open, its what they are easily capable of and is in their nature. Its not like this is a big hidden secret or anything. Dogs cannot do this. You cannot stop them unless you keep the house on 24hr lockdown. I thought this would be fairly obvious to the most inept of people but I guess there is always a special case.

So your argument that people do not take responsibility for their cats is completely stupid and ill thought out. However I highly doubt that this information is going to pierce your narrow minded skull so there is no point in trying to argue with you any further

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭skallywag

I've always let my cats out to roam, and I've lost a fair few through the years to the roads. I don't regret not locking them in etc though, I'd much rather them having the freedom to roam and have a happy cat life, albeit if ended prematurely by the smack of a car, etc.

There is obviously no getting through to you is there. Cats can jump out any window in the house if its open, its what they are easily capable of and is in their nature. Its not like this is a big hidden secret or anything. Dogs cannot do this. You cannot stop them unless you keep the house on 24hr lockdown. I thought this would be fairly obvious to the most inept of people but I guess there is always a special case.

So your argument that people do not take responsibility for their cats is completely stupid and ill thought out. However I highly doubt that this information is going to pierce your narrow minded skull so there is no point in trying to argue with you any further

Stop opening the windows so wide? In what way is it not the owners responsibility to look after their pets?

It's the owner's responsibility at the end of the day to do what needs to be done, whether that means building an outside run or securing the house so it doesn't get out or whatever, so you'll have a pet to come home to.

Cats need to be outside and have fresh air like most animals. But you really cannot take them for walks on a lead like dogs, it just cant be done. Different animal means you cant do things the exact same way as you do with a dog so what do you expect them to do? Im beginning to feel people do not know what cats actually are

Cats attacked wildlife sure jaysus that is perfectly natural, an animal is an animal have to say that seems like a bit of silly remark and what cat goes attacking elderly people.. Cats are off their game I will admit but they don't just jump out at random people.. Haha I could see them liking to do this but I don't think they do.

I do get that dogs pooping everywhere annoys the crap out of me (pun haha) but not all dogs and cats are left out, some are granted but I still would not think that as an excuse, if you hit them to not have some decency to see if they are ok..

And yeah, sorry how many hit and runs are there!! A **** load of them so people aren't much different when it comes to people or animals, have to say I honestly do think it is the kind of person you are..

Seems to have gone into a right waffle of what is wrong or right. Each to their own.

I somehow never even thought of the microchip in him, pants. I will say he was pretty well smooches so to be honest I think I don't my bit in moving him off the road. Which see although a small thing and I could have gone further it is still something..

I am not sure about protocol I don't think there is any written rule to say what you should do, perhaps there is a guard on here who could answer, suppose it comes back to human decency...

I feel like putting up some office cat but I cant add pics darn it.. Cats are mad feckers..

Just remembering there our own chap, we tried to put him on a lead (I know this is sad) and it was like he just froze and stood there with his back up and it was like dragging a dead weight behind you, thank god it was floorboards and not a rug he would have torn it all up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭skallywag

...we tried to put him on a lead...

A Siamese cat will go on a lead no problem for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Nope.

post-51596-cats-on-leashes-gif-Imgur-simo-RecU.gif

Never heard this before...

Would'nt surprise me they would probably walk you to their favourite spot!!

I only done it as he got big enough to jump the wall and I was like darn it, he will wonder. But yeah it didn't work and I would like to say I called to all the neighbours and asked if they minded the cat going across their gardens and even for poop I offered to come in and clean up or buy sprays whatever if they wanted it... So I was responsible but cats are cats he wanted to roam

skallywag wrote: »
    I've always let my cats out to roam, and I've lost a fair few through the years to the roads. I don't regret not locking them in etc though, I'd much rather them having the freedom to roam and have a happy cat life, albeit if ended prematurely by the smack of a car, etc.

Thank you skallywag for explaining that cats are not at all like dogs and need to be left out even if that does involve risk. It would be irresponsible and cruel to keep them locked up all the time. What this thread was about is the fact that some people will knock down a cat and not even blink but some people here dont seem to live in the real world and have some common sense

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Nope.

post-51596-cats-on-leashes-gif-Imgur-simo-RecU.gif

that's it haha they are so funny

Let your cat out all you want, just don't come crying to us when he gets acquainted with a set of Firestones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cats attacked wildlife sure jaysus that is perfectly natural

It's really the furthest thing from "perfectly natural". Cats are pets. They are not native to this country and have a huge advantage over the native wildlife. Especially given that they are housed, pampered and sheltered. The upsurge in cats as pets is damaging our native ecosystem. Voles, birds, anything that frikken moves a cat will clobber. And not even for food, just for fun. It's not the cats fault, but people breed them, house them, play with them like toys, and let them out to roam without a bell without giving two tosses about the damage they do.

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2012/08/14/domestic-cats-are-a-huge-destroyer-of-wildlife/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?_r=0

And people who think they are doing their cat some good by letting it out for fresh air are completely deluded. All that does is drastically shorten the animals life. They get under cars (how 'natural'), eat rubbish and poison, get in fights with dogs etc.

Thank you skallywag for explaining that cats are not at all like dogs and need to be left out even if that does involve risk. It would be irresponsible and cruel to keep them locked up all the time. What this thread was about is the fact that some people will knock down a cat and not even blink but some people here dont seem to live in the real world and have some common sense

Sounds like you aren't taking any steps to minimise the risk. I guess in the real world you can abrogate yourself of any responsibility for animals in your care.

yawnnnn.. think you should lock the thread Mod and don't ban me for saying that, just saying tis chatting about nothing to do with the original post so twill go on forever

• Advertisement

yawnnnn.. think you should lock the thread Mod and don't ban me for saying that, just saying tis chatting about nothing to do with the original post so twill go on forever

You posted that a cat out roaming got hit by a car, we say they shouldn't be let out roaming. I think you were looking for people to agree that its shocking, but its completely to be expected, the place is black with wandering cats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement