Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First check up in a long time and a shock...

Options
  • 15-12-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

went to a local dentist recently to get a filling replaced only to receive bad news....

She said that a wisdom tooth, a tooth that is in my palette of my mouth( previous dentist had said it was not really doing any damage) and up to 15 fillings

this sounds a bit aggressive for my liking..... granted my teeth haven't been seen by but all that? I'm only 24 and it just don't seem right.... i don't eat sweets i brush pretty regular( life can get in the way sometimes)

Im terrified of the dentist, but to get this? it would make me not go back.....

any advise/opinions etc would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Get them done imo, maybe get a second opinion but get them done. Find a dentist that you are comfortable with and talk to them.

Doing nothing will only result in regret and pain!

Get them done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

brevity wrote: »
    Get them done imo, maybe get a second opinion but get them done. Find a dentist that you are comfortable with and talk to them.

Doing nothing will only result in regret and pain!

Get them done :)

A second opinion is worthwhile in these situations, the number of filling may vary between dentists and one dentists limit of intervention may be different to others. Both can be valid.

If you need work best to plug away at it over time and get it sorted bit by bit over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭bureau2009

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    went to a local dentist recently to get a filling replaced only to receive bad news....

She said that a wisdom tooth, a tooth that is in my palette of my mouth( previous dentist had said it was not really doing any damage) and up to 15 fillings
    That's a lot of fillings!

I would suggest you get a 2nd opinion and afterwards decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

A second opinion would be wise. It would be useful if the Dentist could show you the cavities/lesions on x-ray and with intra oral photographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

what has me so confused is that I'm in no pain what so ever, my teeth would be a bit sensitive i will admit but it was really nothing that more than the feeling you would get if you took a bite out of frozen ice cream, it just seemed very aggressive to me...

thanks for all the info/opinions. i think getting a second opinion is best option. I never really taught about a second opinion as i just presumed a dentist to choose what was necessary and not extensive treatment which to me it sort of sound like this is...

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    what has me so confused is that I'm in no pain what so ever, my teeth would be a bit sensitive i will admit but it was really nothing that more than the feeling you would get if you took a bite out of frozen ice cream, it just seemed very aggressive to me...

thanks for all the info/opinions. i think getting a second opinion is best option. I never really taught about a second opinion as i just presumed a dentist to choose what was necessary and not extensive treatment which to me it sort of sound like this is...

thanks again

It might be over treatment or maybe not. If another dentist proposes 5 fillings, that might be undertreatment for you... Who is correct? The person who calls the least treatment is not always correct...
    Go with the dentist you trust and as previously posted, the dentist should be able to demonstrate the need for treatment through xrays or photos.
    OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

the dentist is probably being overcautious as you have no history with them. I know if i went to a dentist tomorrow he would recommend that i get a filling in my tooth that my own dentist is perfectly happy to leave alone as he has been monitoring it for a long and knows it isnt getting worse. a new dentist doesnt have that luxury so is probably erring on the side of caution.
    The fact that your not in pain doesnt mean there is nothing wrong.

Advertisement