Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETB panel of subs

Options
  • 14-12-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

If I have applied for the panel how does it work? is it like a community school where you get a call in the morning at 8.30am from the principal? or do they give notice of a day week etc? I ask because I live more than an hour away from some etb areas I applied for.

What happens if I say I cant make it for 9am but I can for 10am?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

My past experience of it was that they may call you on a Friday for a weeks work the following week. Normally in my ETB, they called at 8am for school at 9am. They will more than likely ring earlier if you have to travel. I had it in my routine to get up at 7:30 every morning anyways, when I was subbing just so I would be up. Just depends on how many they have for your subjects. I remember being offered 2 maternity leaves off the panel so you might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

And if the worst was to happen and i couldnt make it at all that day what would happen? And when you say "they" would call who is they? the principal?

Sometimes HR, sometimes the principal, it just depends. i was contacted by both over my time as a sub. 90% of time its principal or DP. If you couldn't make it at all, just be honest and say it to them and ask them to keep you in mind for the next subbing opportunity. :) if you feel you've been "bumped" off the list for refusing a day, just ring them a month down the line to make sure your still on their radar. My school has about 50 subs on file at the moment. others could have more or less but depends on your subjects. like as in mine is Irish so I knew I would always get something around the Oral times. I actually made a point of sending a note to the head of the Irish Department in the school I'm in now to keep me in mind should they need extra cover at oral times and have been working here 3 years now. :D Every little helps!!

What are your subjects?

good advice thanks. whats the busiest time of year for job applications? on education posts?

dalalada wrote: »
    good advice thanks. whats the busiest time of year for job applications? on education posts?

October / November and February for maternity leaves :)

Late June for etb or sometimes early July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Fire your CV into every school within an hour of your house. And make it a good one.

Would you recommend me to try and speak with my subject teacher or not when i attend the school with the cv? or just ask for the person who holds the list?

Would you recommend me to try and speak with my subject teacher or not when i attend the school with the cv? or just ask for the person who holds the list?

Principal or deputy id say

why? u think its best to avoid any contact with subject teacher?

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    My past experience of it was that they may call you on a Friday for a weeks work the following week. Normally in my ETB, they called at 8am for school at 9am. They will more than likely ring earlier if you have to travel. I had it in my routine to get up at 7:30 every morning anyways, when I was subbing just so I would be up. Just depends on how many they have for your subjects. I remember being offered 2 maternity leaves off the panel so you might be lucky.

In terms of what specifically you will be teaching do they tell you or do you have to bring all your materials for the course with you?

• Advertisement

why? u think its best to avoid any contact with subject teacher?

The subject teacher wont be ringing you in 99% of cases. I wouldn't say avoid them, I think there's not a great chance of getting to see them. The principal or deputy will generally be the one getting the call on a cold and frosty morning and if your CV is to hand you might get the call.

What brings the principal to making the choice of ringing me over the other ones?

Qualified. TC registration. Good CV. Good references. Available.

Order may change.

As far as I know, from January, each employer will have to do garda getting on ALL subs regardless of what you produce with your CV. So if I want to hire you i have to have you vettted, if the school over the road wants to employ you the following week the same will apply.

Order may change.

As far as I know, from January, each employer will have to do garda getting on ALL subs regardless of what you produce with your CV. So if I want to hire you i have to have you vettted, if the school over the road wants to employ you the following week the same will apply.

If you are already vetted and have a recent vetting cert would that do?
    Vetting takes ages how the hell can that work for a weeks subbing or even a days subbing!!

If you are already vetted and have a recent vetting cert would that do?
    Vetting takes ages how the hell can that work for a weeks subbing or even a days subbing!!

Apparently not. They are promising a new system with a24h turn around.

Apparently not. They are promising a new system with a24h turn around.

Is it norm to attach garda vetting to my cv when handing cv around to schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Is it norm to attach garda vetting to my cv when handing cv around to schools?

Yeah it's a good idea to attach a photocopy of your vetting letter and your registration letter.

sitstill wrote: »
    Yeah it's a good idea to attach a photocopy of your vetting letter and your registration letter.

in terms of the etb "panel" when I apply for the sub panel does that mean Im put on a ladder system? in that just cos ive applied doesnt mean nothing, its the person who applied in sept thats ahead of me?

Order may change.

When u say this are you suggesting a way i could but myself ahead of the rest if this comes in? In regards making me an easier candiadate to ring up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

in terms of the etb "panel" when I apply for the sub panel does that mean Im put on a ladder system? in that just cos ive applied doesnt mean nothing, its the person who applied in sept thats ahead of me?

As far as I know, all your details go on to a database and then when an ETB principal is looking for an English teacher for example, he/she goes on to it and picks one out according to his/her needs at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tessa6

In ETB schools subs panel situation, do the principals get a LIST of subs on panel or actual applications of each sub?

Also, wondering if the subs are listed in order of grading from interviews for subs panel?

How do principals select from subs list in ETB schools?

Tessa6 wrote: »
    In ETB schools subs panel situation, do the principals get a LIST of subs on panel or actual applications of each sub?

Also, wondering if the subs are listed in order of grading from interviews for subs panel?

How do principals select from subs list in ETB schools?

principals get a list with subjects. normally you might not have to interview to get on panel but from what I know it's based on experience in my etb. principal starts from top of the list and works down or if you've been there before or know someone in the school you might get preference.

Advertisement