Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fast Charger At Topaz Dublin Airport

Options
  • 14-12-2014 5:20pm

Installed, not on the charge point map, maybe it's not commissioned ?

it was ICE'd, maybe the spaces were not painted green yet but I really hope this spot is kept free for charging. It is in a very busy spot and there isn't much space for parking. I would have thought they would have installed it at the rear of the garage and not at the road.

It would be nice if the Airport had a fast charger or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

Not commissioned yet. There are lot of normal chargers around Dublin airport but a multi standard fast charger will indeed be good. Going there in January but will be using a standard charger at a airport hotel :)

The standard charge points at the airport I believe are only 3 kw ?

More than enough if you're going away but I don't recommend leaving the car charged to 100 % for any length of time, not even 80%, if it's sitting there a few days it's better to leave it at about 40-50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zerohero2015

A day or two at 100% isnt bad, its weeks that will cause problems.The LEAF for example charger can be activated remotely by the Web or just programme the timer. the 3kw Isnt a problem if in a short or long term bay where the car might be there a few hours. Problem is when you looking for a Fast charge, the topaz at the airport is now operational i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do any public chargers have the ability to charge multiple vehicles at once- so you'd plug in and tap in to the charger when you're gonna be back ,say in 24 hrs,(and maybe a charging pattern ) , and if someone else plugs in to the same charger and there's ability to charge them too away they go - (say they want their car in 4 hrs time ) . Would increase the availability of charging points without the need for loads more chargers (and wiring and electrical connectors)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

All standard chargers can charge multiple cars at the same time. It's the amount of plugs that make the difference. The charging speed will depend on your car. My Zoe can use the 22kW most of the charge points can provide. I think it get downgraded to 11kW or 7kW if a slower charging car also connects.

The fast chargers can charge 2 cars at the same time but they have to be a DC car (like the Leaf) and an AC car (like a Zoe). I have done this with my Zoe twice. I am unsure if this cuts down on the charge rate but it would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do any public chargers have the ability to charge multiple vehicles at once- so you'd plug in and tap in to the charger when you're gonna be back ,say in 24 hrs,(and maybe a charging pattern ) , and if someone else plugs in to the same charger and there's ability to charge them too away they go - (say they want their car in 4 hrs time ) . Would increase the availability of charging points without the need for loads more chargers (and wiring and electrical connectors)

In theory, the charge communication protocol (J1772) could support this, but none of the public charge points have the functionality to do so. It would ultimately be of limited use and as Dexter1979 mentions, the charge rate really depends on how fast your car can take a charge.

Advertisement