Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV and sound bar deal. No sound bar available.

Options
  • 14-12-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a TV and sound bar deal in Harvey Norman Limerick 3 weeks ago, paid €883. Brought home and sound bar was wrong colour, despite correct colour stamped on box. I had asked 3 times in store if it was black (intuition?) but it was white. Brought it back and was put on a list for replacement (TV was fine, correct colour and it works)

I have called in once and rang successfully once, no one can give me a lead time, just that I am on a list and they will call me when available. Other times I have tried calling the call does not get answered.

It is over 3 weeks now, getting a bit fed up and I am wondering if I am within my rights to bring back the TV and request full refund?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd get in touch with the Head Office. At this point, I would also put the complaint in writing, clearly marking the envelope 'COMPLAINT'.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I'd get in touch with the Head Office. At this point, I would also put the complaint in writing, clearly marking the envelope 'COMPLAINT'.

Fair enough, but if I do that I still end up waiting. Waiting for Head Office to get me through to whomever and waiting for a response. I'm kind of done waiting for HN at this stage, I think that 3 1/2 weeks is long enough for them to figure out some kind of solution, contact me and give me a lead time. I think I would like full refund, put it behind me and move on. I am querying it now in case there is a 28 day limit somewhere. As a consumer am I entitled to refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm not sure you'd be entitled to a full refund. The TV works albeit without the soundbar which was part of the deal. Maybe you might be able to get a partial refund on account of the advertised soundbar not being available. But that would be on a goodwill basis.

Have you asked HN for a refund? If you have, then what did they say??

Have you asked HN for a refund? If you have, then what did they say??

Not yet, I am trying to find out where I stand in consumer law so that I can make an informed decision on a course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not yet, I am trying to find out where I stand in consumer law so that I can make an informed decision on a course of action.

You have the right to a repair (not possible in this case) or replacement or, failing that, you have the right to a refund. Any redress must be provided within a reasonable time without causing you significant inconvenience.

You may not be entitled to redress if the non-conformity is minor or if the redress is disproportionate to the seller. What is 'minor' and 'disproportionate' would depend on the nature of the product, the non-conformity and the opinion of the judge should you end up in the Small Claims Court. Imo a refund for the TV would be disproportionate as it's not defective.

I get the impression from your opening post that you haven't chased HN for the last 3 weeks so I suggest your next course of action is to in-store and speak to the manager face to face.

If that doesn't work send them a letter of complaint. In the letter tell them want you want (black soundbar), give them a deadline (10 working days is normal) and let them know you will take the to the SCC if they don't respond.

• Advertisement

Went in again this morning and spoke to manager. Soundbar being delivered to store this afternoon and they will ring me when it is available for collection or the option for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Went in again this morning and spoke to manager. Soundbar being delivered to store this afternoon and they will ring me when it is available for collection or the option for delivery.

Did you actually get it or did that <SNIP> manager just say it to fob you off. Having ****e dealings with him last two weeks. Head office are as bad.

moleyv wrote: »
    Did you actually get it or did that <SNIP> manager just say it to fob you off. Having ****e dealings with him last two weeks. Head office are as bad.

I got it. Manager rang me about 17:30 that evening to say delivery was in and it would be available Wednesday. I was close by on Tuesday evening and said I'd chance calling in and they had it, black as requested and it works.

Just a quick review on the sound bar, Sony CT370 300W slim, if it wasn't part of the deal and I'd paid €350 for it I think I would be disappointed but it's ok for normal listening. It is no substitute for a proper 5.1 system which you could put together for probably €150 more. The biggest plus is actually the bluetooth capability where you can play the music from your phone, iPod, mp3 player without having to move off the couch.

update edit: After to listening to more content of various types I am pleased with the way it improves on the TV sound. I would consider it reasonable value if you can get it for say €300.... I thought I saw it for that on Powercity website one time... and of course be aware it comes in silver or black, Powercity doesn't give the option.

Advertisement