Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the refilling valve?

Options
  • 14-12-2014 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We live in a rented house built in 1990's as far as I know. Plumber visited and installed a new pump for the gas burner. It worked for some time, but stopped after a couple weeks usage. The reason is low pressure (well below 1 bar) of the system i.e. there is not enough water in the radiators. Obviously there is a leak somewhere. Now I would like to ask, where is the water refilling valve and how does it look like? The gas burner unit is in the kitchen but could not find it there. The boiler is in the closet upstairs and there are at least 4 visible red valves there. Could not find any in the attic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

petrrez wrote: »
    We live in a rented house built in 1990's as far as I know. Plumber visited and installed a new pump for the gas burner. It worked for some time, but stopped after a couple weeks usage. The reason is low pressure (well below 1 bar) of the system i.e. there is not enough water in the radiators. Obviously there is a leak somewhere. Now I would like to ask, where is the water refilling valve and how does it look like? The gas burner unit is in the kitchen but could not find it there. The boiler is in the closet upstairs and there are at least 4 visible red valves there. Could not find any in the attic.

You should be looking for a steel braided type hose with a valve each side.
    Or post pics of hotpress and boiler and someone will be able to sort you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 petrrez

Unfortunately I am unable to attach or link any pics because I am a new member here.
    Called this plumber who installed the pump and he said the water refilling valve is (in the) copper cylinder.
    Does he mean that it is in the boiler?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

probably means the hot press

Might look like this
    331821.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 petrrez

I have looked for it from all the places but have not found. This part looks new. Our landlord has not made any kind of major renovation to this house for decades. Therefore I would think that the part can be different looking and this refilling valve can be arranged differently. It would make sense to place this kind of valve close to pressure gauge. The pressure gauge is located above the gas burner and just behind the gauge there is only red knob which drains water out. Do you have any ideas about other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

You might not have a braided hose? I saw in one place that had a tee off from another pipe that supplied the boiler for top up, when I say it supplied the boiler for top up, the boiler was on the ground floor level, no gauge anywhere and the top up was in the hotpress.

In my own house there was never even a top up line fitted and no drains either, they must have topped it up and pressurised it in situ, cheap bastads, for the want of a few fittings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It could have an automatic filling valve which has jammed, it looks like this but without the gauge in some cases, http://www.clickonbathrooms.co.uk/watts-auto-filling-valve-assembly-c2x13059698

Advertisement