Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound of stirring

Options
  • 14-12-2014 12:48pm

This morning I made a mug of tea.

An hour later I made mug of coffee.

I noticed that the sound of stirring the two drinks was different.

Anyone know why this is?

Seems strange that I used the same mug, but the sound of the stirring was different depending on the drink.

What's so different about tea with milk, versus sugar with milk?

There was no teabags in the tea by the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't have a scientific explanation, but have noticed something similar.

Stirring coffee, the sound is duller than stirring tea. The sound is clearest when stirring plain tea without milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thickness of the liquid?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Temperature might be a factor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Now this is a thread that's going places

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tea with milk, now that sounds weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Viscosity and resistance in the liquid I presume , the coffee dissolves in the water increasing the viscosity , the tea leaves don't , only the tiny flavour molecules from the tea which don't appreciably increase the viscosity ..........in case you haven't guessed I'm only winging it here ,any theoretical physicists on here ? Or all you all pondering the mysteries of 'life the universe and everything '? ....or hungover .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Apparently there's more caffeine in a mug of coffee than there is in a mug of tea, so the molecules in the coffee would be more agitated, thus affecting the structural integrity of the liquid. That could account for the different sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Oops69 wrote: »
    Viscosity and resistance in the liquid I presume , the coffee dissolves in the water increasing the viscosity , the tea leaves don't Only the tiny flavour molecules from the tea ..........in case you haven't guessed I'm only winging it here ,any theoretical physicists on here ? Or all you all pondering the mysteries of 'life the universe and everything '? ....or hungover .

Pondering the lack of viscosity of their bodily emissions I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Viscosity and resistance in the liquid I presume , the coffee dissolves in the water increasing the viscosity , the tea leaves don't , only the tiny flavour molecules from the tea which don't appreciably increase the viscosity ..........in case you haven't guessed I'm only winging it here ,any theoretical physicists on here ? Or all you all pondering the mysteries of 'life the universe and everything '? ....or hungover .

This sounds highly plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Now this is a thread that's going places

Yeah to the recycling bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Thickness of the liquid?

Thickness of the op's post?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

My guess would be due to the difference in viscosity and density between the two different liquids. The amount of contact between the spoon and liquid, and the liquid and cup may also come into play. Another big enough factor is the amount of liquid in the cup. Were they both filled to the exact same height? If not, the amount of interference experienced by the sound as it travels up through the cup may have a noticeable affect!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Yeah to the recycling bin.
    That's Geekism , are Geeks not allowed to have threads either .

That's Geekism , are Geeks not allowed to have threads either .

Not in after hours. This is just for us gob****es. Welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This morning I made a mug of tea.

An hour later I made mug of coffee.

I noticed that the sound of stirring the two drinks was different.

Anyone know why this is?

Seems strange that I used the same mug, but the sound of the stirring was different depending on the drink.

What's so different about tea with milk, versus sugar with milk?

There was no teabags in the tea by the way.

Most likely you had ear plugs in while tea making and not when coffee making.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The original post looks like some kind of cryptic poem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Broadband acoustic resonance dissolution spectroscopy, check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Its just one of those things we're not ment to know.Like why is the earth flat...

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Density of the liquid will affect the speed at which sound will pass through it, and as such, alter the pitch of the sound emitted. However a bigger factor is the fact that you more than likely used instant coffee - tiny air bubbles are released from the coffee grains into the liquid, and as sound waves travel a lot more slowly through air than they do through liquid, it affects the pitch of the sound emitted.

With tea, you're really just stirring water because the tea bag keeps its contents in the bag. With coffee you're actually mixing coffee into the water and making it more dense. Yeah, science.

• Advertisement
Advertisement